Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket

This is my very first crochet pattern I have made ever, and I have no blog page to post from so it comes from here. This is a free pattern so help yourself to it and I don't care about copyright or other stuff because this is all stitches I have learned. Ready - here goes!

This can be a long time project or a shorter one depending on how you want to do it. I made a thermal blanket, the stitch learned from Mikey's Crochet Corner videos. For a long time I forgot where I learned the stitch came from and then it came back around again in a crochet stitch of the day email I received and that reminded me, whew.

This is the finished blanket.... Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket-finished-blanket-jpg as you can see it was a huge job. The stitch is basic, a single crochet, pick up the back loop only, Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket-pick-stitch-jpg, then go down one level and pick up the stitch directly underneath the bl you have on your hook. Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket-pick-stitch-underneath-jpg sorry the picture isn't so great, the other stitch shows up as white. Yarn over, pull through the two stitches, yarn over, pull through last two stitches and you have made a thermal stitch! Now, if you want to make the easy project, grab a skein of yarn, chain or sc foundation chain a line as long as you want the width of the blanket to be (I didn't count). When you get to the end of that, chain 1, turn and sc across. SC 1, turn and start the thermal stitch as taught above. you can switch colors any time you want or use one color for the whole thing, your choice for the easy version.

But if you are new to crochet and want to make this a learning experience, here's what to do. Start making squares. I did them 30 stitches across and made them square. Single crochet, half double, double, criss-cross, front post, back post, basket weave, oh, every kind of stitch I could find on the internet. I made a total of 80 squares, including round ones! Here are some examples... Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket-blanket-project-2-jpgwell, it won't let me post another image, sigh. but you get the idea. I did shapes, rounds, all sorts for my 80 in about a dozen colors. THEN I started my blanket. I used another color to do the edging and single crochet, then with the help of my granddaughter Sparrow and her friends, we sorted the colors and I plunged in. Yes, soon the blanket got heavy to turn and hold, but up here in cold Alaska temps it was a nice warm blanket. And I enjoyed learning how to make so many other stitches. I made plenty of mistakes on my learning squares but I feel I will be a better crocheter for the experiences.
    So - again, the thermal stitch pattern is
    SC - pick up BLO
    go down one layer and pick up stitch underneath
    YO and draw through both stitches.
    YO again and draw through last two stitches.
    Thermal stitch made.
    Thanks go out to all the people and sites where I learned all the stitches from (too many to name) and to all of you, keep on learning and practicing!
    Patt Lisenbee
    Attached Images Attached Images Learning Lesson - Thermal Blanket-blanket-project-1-jpg 

2. Thanks missro007, Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes missro007, Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing. I have used that stitch in potholders never thought to use for a blanket...Happy Easter....Sharon