Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Mary

Hi - My name is Mary and I live in a small town (Fredonia) in Western NY. I have been crocheting, knitting and doing alterations for around 40 years.
    My son's friend asked me to crochet "Rasta" hats for his 4 children. Does anyone have a good pattern for one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just go to your computer & Google the words Rasta hats. Youll be surprised at what comes up. Bet you will find several patterns.I,m amazed at the hat patterns on computer. I,m almost illiterare on the computer but have found zillions of hat patterns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mary,

Welcome to the group! It is very nice to meet you! Here are some resources to look at for rasta hat crochet patterns:

Rasta Hat

Crochet Rasta Hat | Free Crochet Pattern

Rasta-hat | AllFreeCrochet.com

I look forward to hearing more about your crochet projects! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your suggestions - I found a pattern I am going to try but it is for an adult. How do I make a pattern smaller? The pattern I like is the Rasta hat from Chez Crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Mitzer,

Depending on how much you would like to decrease the pattern, you can decrease the number of stitches throughout the pattern. If you will create your chain the length around the head you desire counting your stitches so you can decrease your pattern. Then you can change the rest of your pattern.

For example, if the original pattern states to chain 60 and you create a chain which is 30 that fits around the head, you would then decrease your pattern directions by half. Hopefully, this will help you get started!

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbara,
    Is that kind of a general rule? When you need to cut the size of something down you can check it from the "chain" for say a hat or what is its a sweater for a child and you measure the shoulder width that way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    Hopefully I can get started on the hats tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doe1974 View Post
    Barbara,
    Is that kind of a general rule? When you need to cut the size of something down you can check it from the "chain" for say a hat or what is its a sweater for a child and you measure the shoulder width that way?
    Hello,

I do know when you are doing clothing items, it becomes a little tricker. Generally, you can use a smaller hook size, increase your tension, and use a yarn which is smaller. This of course will depend on how much you need to downsize a crochet pattern for clothing items. Downsizing hats are easier to do this with.

If you need additional help, let us know and we will help as much as possible! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Some patterns will say to adjust to desired length. This is where you can make adjustments for sizing. Other changes may be needed, if you are using a pattern that does not give you this option.