Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Mill End Yarns

Post Thanks / Like

Mill End Yarns

Have you had any luck with "mill end" yarn? I assume it means the skeins are made from ends at the yarn mill??

I purchased several "mill end" yarn skeins (beautiful yarns by the way) at a local JoAnn's store. There were a bunch of beautiful skeins of mill end yarns in a huge bin at a very cheap price. I bought eight skeins. I've been crocheting with them and haven't even ran into the first knot, yet.

Shelley

2. Thanks missro007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have bought packages of mill end yarns at AC Moore. They are packaged in plastic bags, often very pretty colors and different types of yarn. So far, I have not had any problems with them. I tend, however, to use coupons only when purchasing them, since some are regular worsted weight and actually cheaper if bought separately, in my little opinion. But I still pick them up when I see something really nice.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I use them all the time, never been disappointed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your responses... It's always nice to know I haven't made a big mistake lol.

Roe, yes they were in plastic bags, all types of yarns and none had labels wrapped around them. The yarn I purchased was $7.99 for each package of two huge skeins. It's a very different type of yarn I've never worked with before. It's cotton with a bit of glitter in it that doesn't come off when I'm working with it. The yarn is very "thin," almost like a really thick thread. I use a size B hook with it. The colors are bright pinks, purples and aqua blues, all are ombres.

Right now, I'm using the purples to make a mat for my mom's laptop table next to her chair in the den.

Thanks again!
    Shelley

6. Likes GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on them. I've seen them at JoAnn's but didn't know how they were. I think I'll buy them next time I'm in.

SheilaMayT

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working with them and haven't run into any tied knots or other flaws. The skein I'm working with seems to be perfect so far.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago there was a craft store in a nearby town that sold mill end yarns. I bought a few and never had problems w/ them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your post . I have often wondered about purchasing mill ends. Now I will give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last month, at Joanne's, there was a big bin full of mill end yarns in plain plastic wraps of four skeins each in many college colors. I bought four packages ($7.99 each package = 16 skeins) They are purple and gold college colors. It is very easy to work with. However, the colors do run into one another and the purple is sometimes faded and sometimes bright. I wish I had only bought one package. It took four skeins to make a baby blanket our son and d-i-l can take to the university football games next winter. So, the blanket looks like it is old and faded and washed with colors run. My kids don't mind. I'm really not anxious to use the rest and it's too late for return. But I'll probably make some hats and scarves they can use to wear at games. Lesson learned...

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever I go to A C Moore, I always check the "mill ends" bin. You get a pound of yarn for $6.99....even less if you can use a coupon. I have gotten some really nice yarns that would cost more if purchased by the skein. The last mill end I bought was a beautiful ombre in spring colors mainly purple from medium to light with pinks and yellows. While I was in the physical rehab place, I crocheted a wheelchair wrap that I gave to a very nice lady who has been in the long term wing for 4 years. I found out we belong to the same church and once I visited her, I remembered her from church. She was so thrilled to get the wrap because she is always chilly around the shoulders. Many of the residents commented on how beautiful the yarn was and how soft it was, too. I haven't seen any more of the same yarn in the mill ends bin since and wish I'd gotten more of the same. I make sure to always check to see if there are any "good deals" in the bin. Hope everyone has good luck with any mill ends they get....if not, take it back. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....