Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Red face I am new and I have a question please....

Hi,

I am Lisa and am new to crochet. I have been teaching myself from you-tube tutorials. I have a question about a pattern

Lily® Sugar ‘n Cream Cottage Bag

Row 1 instructions say to: "1st row: (RS). 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. 1 sc in each ch to end of ch. Turn. 40 sc. 2nd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in each sc across. Turn.**"

Question: Does this imply I am starting with a row of 40 single crochets?

Sorry if this is basic. My biggest confusion is how to read the patterns! Thanks,

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

This is a really cute bag! When I looked at the pattern on Micheals site, it does not tell you how many to create on your foundation crochet chain, but it tells you how to begin your rows, which are the instructions above. It does however tell you the gauge.

We have some more experienced crocheters within the forum who are great at reading patterns. They will be checking in at different times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I had a feeling it had to do with the gauge and that I should be able to interpret it, but I am just not that experienced yet. At least I know I am on the right track .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again,

I am thinking that your foundation chain will be 40, since the pattern is telling you to 40 single crochet. I would like to gain confirmation on this from someone better than I on reading instructions! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    I use patterns most of the time. The instructions to this pattern are not very clear. I would chain 41 chains and for the second row start 1 sc in the second ch and in every chain across. You should have 40 single crochet's when your finished. Check your gauge for the correct measurements. Hope this helps you and don't get too frustrated. Diana

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like what I was thinking - thanks a bunch for the input!