Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New to crochet

Post Thanks / Like

Red face New to crochet

Hi my grandmother taught me how to knit when I was 5 years old, well now at 46 years old I've decided to learn how to crochet. I have done 2 baby afghans, which I'm happy with. But my problem is I only know how to do squares and the basic 3 double crochet chain 1 and so on. Does anyone have a easy pattern for a afghan I can try, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Paulasullivan, it is great to meet you. Welcome to Crochet Talk. We are very excited that you are joining our wonderful group. Look around and enjoy meeting some really great people. We will do our best to answer you questions. Enjoy!

Debbie
    She is clothed with strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future.

Proverbs 31:25

4. Likes determined_to-crochet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey paulasullivan welcome to crochet talk

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Paula, I would like to welcome you to CT.. This is a forum of members that become friends very quickly.. We all are here to support and help each other.. So if you have any questions, please don not hesitate to ask... Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to Crochet Talk! It is a pleasure to have you here on the message boards! Please pull up a chair and make your self at home here - this is a wonderful group of people we have on site! :0)

Post a request here in this thread for the type of easy afghan you are looking for:

Pattern Requests

I did not know if you are looking for a granny square afghan, or any other type of easy afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulasullivan View Post
    Hi my grandmother taught me how to knit when I was 5 years old, well now at 46 years old I've decided to learn how to crochet. I have done 2 baby afghans, which I'm happy with. But my problem is I only know how to do squares and the basic 3 double crochet chain 1 and so on. Does anyone have a easy pattern for a afghan I can try, please.
    Here is a great afghan pattern that I'm making right now. It is composed of only chains and single crochet, and turns out really nice. It's a nice, heavy pattern, without holes, so is really nice for babies. You can change it up by using different colors to make stripes, or it looks really nice made in a soft pastel color. Here is a link:

Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket for Beginners -- Free Crochet Pattern

Here is a link to the same pattern on Ravelry, which is a great forum for knitters and crocheters. There are pictures of blankets folks have made, and their comments about the pattern:

Ravelry: Fast Easy Crochet Baby Blanket pattern by Amy Solovay

Just wanted to add, and this is just my opinion: I know lots of people love to make very fancy baby blankets. My daughter has 7 children,and she tells me that her favorite blankets are the simple ones. When they are too fancy, the baby's little toes and fingers get all tangled up in the blanket. I've also had other mothers tell me this. That's why I tend to make my baby blankets pretty simple in design, and use the type of yarn and color to make them "pretty."
    Last edited by buggainok; 03-11-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks buggainok for sharing that pattern. It is a no brainer for days that you don't want to concintrate---and it works up real pretty-----bettybee

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bettybee10 View Post
    Thanks buggainok for sharing that pattern. It is a no brainer for days that you don't want to concintrate---and it works up real pretty-----bettybee
    You're so welcome, Bettybee. I'm frantically trying to finish the one I'm working on for my daughter. It's looking really cute, stripes of torquoise, narrow white, hot pink, narrow white, and bright yellow, narrow white. Her 8th baby, Clementine, is due to arrive on March 28th!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds very pretty I hope you can get it made in time----i know your daughter has her hands full with eight children----my younger sister had 9. Better her than me lol_--bettybee

12. Likes buggainok liked this post