Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
    Post Thanks / Like

Who likes to do canning or preserving of foods?

One thing I would love to learn some day is how to can foods. I help a friend put in a garden each year and we normally have more than enough veggies/fruits than we can eat in the summer time. I always remembered my grandmother canning foods as they lived on a farm.

Do any of you can foods? Make homemade jams or pickles? Would love to hear more!

2. Likes Winnie2013, teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Barbara, I am a Bklyn, NY city girl.. So that's a big no for me.. My husband is a Ct. country boy and that means yes for me.. He learned from his Mom and doesn't do as many as she did but some... Teresa

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When my husband was able to put in a garden I use to can tomatoes, and make jelly and freezer jam every summer. I really enjoyed doing it. Store bought canned tomatoes can't even compare to home canned tomatoes.

6. Likes Barbara G., teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to can a lot when my kids weregrowing up. Jams jellies pickels. All kinds of veggies and even canned home made stew

8. Likes Barbara G., teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't, but while growing up, one of my mom's friends that was sort of like a dad figure in my life at the time {my mom and him were never together, though} would make {and jar} his own jams from the berry plants he grew. They were good jams =D

10. Likes Barbara G., teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In the early years of marriage and when my children were young, I did a lot of canning. We had a HUGE garden and most everything we ate was either from the garden, the stuff I canned or from the meat we raised. I did a lot of canning and also did some freezing of vegetables. My mother also did canning of meat, but I never got into that. We usually ate it fresh or just froze the meat. Now that it is just my husband and myself and the garden spot has been taken up by a shed, I no longer have a garden. However, my youngest daughter has taken up from where I left off. She grows wonderful vegetables and shares them with us. Last year she canned potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, apple pie filling, pickles and green beans all of which she also shared with us. Canning is certainly a labor of love. It does take a lot of time but is so worth it if you have the time and the produce.

12. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No, not a canner at all. A friend of mine who does canning tried to teach me once but it was not something I enjoy, she loves it though. Would rather use the time to crochet or be outside. Another friends' husband does his own canning. I do get the fruits (no pun intended, LOL) of their labor since they do give me jars of jams and jellies and marmalades. I just return the jars and then buy them the little flat thingys that go on top of the jars since you can't reuse them. Oh and this same guy makes his own wine too and I get bottles of that. Again, I just return the bottles.

Roe

14. Likes Barbara G. liked this post