Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Post Thanks / Like

Advice for a crochet baby scarf

Hello, crocheters!

I'm a very new crocheter... I started teaching myself about two weeks ago, but have since completed two projects and have a couple more in the works. I'm really enjoying it! I'd like to make a baby scarf for my friend's little guy. He's turning one next month. But I actually can't find a lot of tips for making baby scarves around the net. One mother on another forum did point out that they could be a choking hazard for some children. Of course, I know his dad (my friend) would look out for his safety, but does anyone have any advice for how I can make a "baby safe" scarf for my little buddy? Thanks!

2. Likes teresah liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of a scarf, if you must make a scarf for a baby that young, I would suggest making a small cowl instead, a neck warmer... So it would be a scarf in the round, technically, and not too big that it would be able to get behind the baby and choke him.

Personally, I would suggest making a hat or two instead of a scarf for a baby that young, though.

4. Likes little drummer, elproct liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, a one year old is a little young since they can tug on it also. I would do a cute little hat instead.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the hat. How about a blanket? Something that is big enough to cover him when he is napping. I have a one year old great grandbaby and she will undress if she feels like it. Any thing around her neck will be constricting. And there are a lot of patterns that are easy to do. One tip ,,,, Count your stitches to keep the work even. Good luck on whatever you choose, Margaret.

7. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Please do not make a scarf for such a young one, they are too dangerous , probably why you cannot find patterns. I agree with the other posts about a cowl or blanket, or a hat or helmet liner type. I made some by cutting back on the number of stitches of the adult pattern.- to match the size of the proper age.

9. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with all of the above. A scarf could be easily become a choking hazard. You could make a face mask or ski mask for the little guy. That way his whole face would be covered and would not have to worry about a scarf. A cowl or neck warmer would be a safer choice. Good luck with your decision. Is always fun to make things for special people.

11. Likes elproct, Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya hitzbillygirl, I think like any thing else, Momma should be watching baby at all times. If this is to much of a risk, maybe it should be kept for when he is older...
    Also, Welcome to the site.. I'm sure you will love it as much as I do.. You will find the members are great and so helpful... Enjoy.. Teresa

13. Likes elproct liked this post