Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Sweater in the round and round

Ponciana gave me this fabulous idea when she posted about her lemon meringue color sweater all in hdc using a big hook. I'm not using a big hook but am going round and round in hdc. I love it...front and back at the same time, no joining, no seam, go between the stitches. So easy...don't have to think about what I'm doing.

The only thing I have to watch when crocheting with Simply Soft is when the yarn splits. Anyhoo, when it's about 20" long I'll have to do the front and back separately since I'll need arm holes.

The stitch when viewed from a distance looks like little diamonds.

Thank you, Ponciana.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

2. Likes Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sharing this wonderfull pattern? I hope to see a picture at least. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reminder to take notes so I eventually have a pattern to share. Right now it's a WIP, Billie. You can get started now with an fsc of your hip size minus 6" (112 st for mine using a J hook for 40"). If you can join without twisting it, great. If not, hd in each stitch to the end. Anyway, get it joined and start hdc in continuous round until you reach the height of bottom to where the sleeve (armhole opening) will start. That'll get you started. More instructions will be revealed when I get there.

5. Likes Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somehow I made an uh-oh and the rounds got larger. Now I'm at the top of the sweater trying to salvage it (decrease stitches, quit the hdc and use a pattern stitch instead) and I think it's going to be wearable, but not the stunning example I was hoping it would be. I don't believe I'll try the round and round again until I find a stitch pattern that works better and is quicker than hdc. Hope you didn't start, Billie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Ponciana gave me this fabulous idea when she posted about her lemon meringue color sweater all in hdc using a big hook. I'm not using a big hook but am going round and round in hdc. I love it...front and back at the same time, no joining, no seam, go between the stitches. So easy...don't have to think about what I'm doing.

The only thing I have to watch when crocheting with Simply Soft is when the yarn splits. Anyhoo, when it's about 20" long I'll have to do the front and back separately since I'll need arm holes.

The stitch when viewed from a distance looks like little diamonds.

Thank you, Ponciana.
    Hey, you're welcome ... I'm happy I gave you an inspiration. But it's working both ways because you've planted a little seed of thought in my head. I'm also wondering how you will incorporate sleeves, etc.,
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    Are you sharing this wonderfull pattern? I hope to see a picture at least. lol
    I can't speak for Joyce, but as for myself, I don't have a pattern for making my sweater. Joyce is a kindred spirit... I just dream stuff up in my head and then proceed to make it. All by measurement and now I've found Joyce does the same.

My sweater isn't precisely a sweater, my mom calls it a "cage." To clarify, I'll be wearing it over a shell or bathing suit and so on. At this point I'll share one of my wardrobe secrets. I buy scads of tank tops... that come as two piece bathing suits. The "tank top" is the top of a 2-piece bathing suit that you buy as a separate and has built-in bra. You can buy the bottoms in a skirt-style, boy-legs, or regular fitting bottom - I don't buy the bottoms, just the tops and wear them with shrugs and little jackets. This "cage" as Mom calls it will work perfectly with them, too.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ooh-lalah View Post
    Somehow I made an uh-oh and the rounds got larger. Now I'm at the top of the sweater trying to salvage it (decrease stitches, quit the hdc and use a pattern stitch instead) and I think it's going to be wearable, but not the stunning example I was hoping it would be. I don't believe I'll try the round and round again until I find a stitch pattern that works better and is quicker than hdc. Hope you didn't start, Billie.
    Whoops, Joyce. Back to the drawing board! I'm thinking seriously of buying a dressmaker's form or whatever you call it. And using it to help me along.