Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
    Post Thanks / Like

making your own labels for your crochet squares

PatchworkPottery: Fabric Labels Tutorial
    but it has to be machine washable-still looking for an easier way to make your own labels
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 02-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! And so easy, must try. Thanks

3. Likes Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't put labels on my work, Most of the people I know and if there friends buy something they tell who make it

5. Likes teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya, I don't put label on my items either, but I would like to.. Thank you for sharing the site... Teresa

Post Thanks / Like
    i would like to put a label for laundry instructions

8. Likes karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    cj0066000 When I make something for someone I give the care instructions on the label

Post Thanks / Like
    I reviewed the above site. The way I make mine is simpler. First, create your label page on notepad, word, or whatever program you're comfortable with. Make sure to make it to fit within 8 1/2" x 11". Second, I have an old inkjet printer - it still works! - and just the regular paper setting is fine. Third - purchase June Tailor Sew-in Colorfast Fabric Sheets for ink jet printers which comes in white or cream. I bought it from Joann Fabrics with a 50% off coupon - $5 for 3 sheets (you can buy 10 sheet pkgs if you need more). Test label page on a piece of paper first if you need to. Put one fabric sheet in the printer under normal quality and print. Allow ink to dry for at least ten minutes - I wait at least an hour if not overnight.
    Here's where I deviate from the instructions. Instead of removing the paper backing, ironing, and rinsing, I spray a light coat of Krylon clear acrylic spray or workable fixative over the entire page. You can do a couple of thin coats (allow to dry in between) if you think you need it. Let completely dry and air out. Remove the paper backing and cut labels apart. I have put the labels through the wash and they have come out fine. I think the acrylic spray seals the label so it doesn't bleed and resists fading, and it seals the fabric so it also resists fraying. This fabric is stiffer that other printer fabrics, but for how I use them, I like that. If you were putting them in a garment, I would sew it in a low side seam, not the back of the neck. For my logo and business name labels, I can get about 100 from one page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for sharing this useful information!! I want to add labels with the avatar my son made me. Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I went to Microsoft Word on the computer and put in the word roses in the search box and and clicked on it so it came up on the screen. Then I printed it out. We just have the black ink, so I colored the shaded areas of the some of the roses. Anyways, I went to the store and bought fabric markers and some material. I put the paper that printed out from the computer/printer on a window and put the material over that and traced/colored the picture on the material. I have to let it dry for 24 hours It's machine washable.

I also had got some 'transfer pens'. With the transfer pens it says to trace pattern on tracing paper and after ink is dried, flip over tracing paper to fabric. Gently iron from the backside of tracing paper w/180C-200Celseus(I don't know how to spell it) several seconds. Try on small area first. Keep out of reach for children. Store pen horizontally. But I don't have any tracing paper so I used the fabric pens/markers. I did 14 roses w/my name so far cause I read that there's going to be 14 people at the meeting in June but I don't think everyone is making squares. After the 24 hrs. I'll wash it before I cut it into labels and stitch it on the crochet squares. I did read somewhere on the computer that you can put it on ribbon for your labels. Anyway, that's what I did.

I also bought some stencils but didn't use those yet.
    Jean Marie
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 02-11-2014 at 01:58 PM.

13. Likes karenlatlas, teresah liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT IDEA! I wish I could sew! Really is a fabulous idea! Thanks for the information! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!