Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Texas

My name is Beverly. This is the first time I've ever posed to any forum. Although my g'mother was an avid crocheter she had no patience with passing on her talent; and it was a talent. I lived with her for about 6 months as a teenager and would see her crocheting everyday. She never looked at a pattern but could whip up a tablecloth with raised flowers all over it. Terrible as it is, almost none of her work exists within our family. It was all lost or ?? disposed of somehow. My youngest sister has the only tablecloth I know of and she uses it as a bedcover. Anyway, it really caught my interest and I taught myself to crochet when I was in my 20's...so I've been crocheting for about 40 years. Right now my interest has been sparked by Tapestry crochet. I'm looking for just the right project which I'll know when I see it. I may just give a try at designing my own...we'll see. Thank you for your time and I look forward to exploring this site and hear about all your projects....b

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! Thank you for sharing about your young experience watching your grandmother. Those are wonderful memories, I am sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beverly!
    I'm from Arkansas right next door. I was inspired by my mother and my grandmother, too, but really taught myself. I like the idea of tapestry but I am still learning how to change thread without tying a knot, lol.

Good luck with that and welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patti,

Thank you for your thoughtful welcome. I am not actually from Texas... I am a transplant from Southern California. I moved here from Huntington Beach, CA about 6 years ago to be near my 2 daughters and their families. Although I really miss Ca... I really love being near my family. At present I am trying to get my craft/sewing/?? room organized so that I can finally see exactly what I have in my various stashes and to familiarize myself with all the unfinished projects that I need to complete....again, thank you...b

5. Likes Patti Hale liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Barbara,

Thank you for your comments. I do have some nice memories of the time I spent with my g'mother... I wish as a young girl I'd had more insight to know how important it is to pass on these crafts to the next generation and tried to get her to show me how to do it. I eventually taught myself how to do all the different things I do, but I always return to my love of crochet. As I mentioned in my response to Patti Hale, I am trying to get my craft/sewing/?? room organized so that I can finally see exactly what I have in my various stashes and to familiarize myself with all the unfinished projects that I need to complete....if anyone has any really good ideas I'd really appreciate them. I finally have a whole room in my house that I can dedicate to just my crafts and all the paraphrenalia (sp?) that goes along with it and I can't seem to figure out how I want to arrange and store things; specially so that they can be found again once they been given a home....this is getting way too long, I mainly just wanted to let you know how nice it was to see yours and Patti's replies when I came online tonight after I got home from work...b

Post Thanks / Like
    I have white melamine (sp?) cubicles that were once used for a wall of towels at a Walmart here. When they built the Super Center, lol, they got rid of all of their fixtures at an unbelieveable price. At the time I had a printing business and needed it to store paper in. I also got the island they cut fabric on. When we closed our business, I didn't have room for all of that but I kept some of the white cubicles ( came in 8 cubicle sections.) They are great for storing projects and yarn in.
    Though you might not have a Walmart closing down near you---if you're close to an Ikea--(there's one in Dallas, I know) you might find something similar or some kind of wooden/plastic boxes stacked on their side and painted.

But I say....don't get in any hurry...you got loads of time to figue it all out.

8. Likes Beviboo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    they say great minds think alike... I've been sort of picturing a cubicle sort of situation and this evening I went online and found at....taaadaaa.... Walmart.com (who'd of thunk?); some cabinet/bookcases that are 3'x3' and have 9 cubicles in them. The best part is that they are only $35.00 each and because I work at (yah...) Walmart (times are hard) I get a 10% discount so they wound up costing me only $31 and change. I'm having them (there are 4) delivered site-to-store so there is no shipping charges. Now I just need a really long table to go up against the back wall because I want these shelves to sit on top of it so that I can see and access them easier. The room I am using is 12'6"x10'6" and has a small walk in closet in it... I'm really getting excited about it... a year ago I had all the floors in my house redone and had purple carpet put in this room because it is my favorite color... the book shelves are black and so far the walls are still white. I haven't decided what color I'm going to go with....this isn't so much of a quick reply...better go...thank you...b

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay!
    Sounds great. At least you're doing something about your room ;-) I have a room with the shelves and all but I also have a lot of other things in there--combination playroom for grandkids/storage room.

I am accumulating stuff for a yard sale in there, too, lol, so I don't have it all that organized, yet. But I do have the shelves and my yarn organized at least.