Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Technique for crocheting ribbing

Since I also knit, I always thought you could only do ribbing in crochet until I saw this link showing a very simple way to crochet ribbing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't make the video work, but when I do ribbing, I'll do a row of dc as a 'foundation' row. Then I'll work fpdc (front post double crochet) in the first dc and bpdc (back post double crochet) in the next dc, alternating between fpdc and bpdc across the row.

The next row is worked with fpdc in the fpdc and bpdc in the bpdc. to create a ribbed effect.

You can see what I mean here
    Woman's Fisherman Sweater crochet sweater heirloom by crochetgal
    in the last photo of the series
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Another easy way to create a 'ribbed' effect is to work the band by itself as the beginning part of the project. Rather than work around the edge of a project, you work a band in the length that you would require.

Start with a row of sc and with each row, work in the back loops of the previous row until the required length is reached. That will give you a nice ribbing with a bit of stretch to it!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. I must not know what I'm doing when I link a video. I click on the film symbol and paste the address that I've copied there. This is on You Tube so everyone should be able to get to it.

As for the technique--all she did was to go through the back loop only --very easy. When she turned and did the same thing on the other row it made a depression and a ridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

The video is working for me. Not sure why there was an issue, just to let you know. You posted it correctly.