Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Help locating a pattern??

I saw a woman wearing this hat a while ago and just had to ask her where she got it. Turns out her Mom knit it for her from a pattern in the book "Hattitude" by Cathy Carron. It has a beanie-type shell of a hat under separated cables that are attached from the brim and go up to some fringe on the top. Very cute and unique! I've searched high and low for something similar that could be crocheted, instead of knit, with no luck. Any suggestions for where I could locate a crochet pattern for something like this or how I would go about making it on my own? I'd really like to attempt it so any advice you can offer is great. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images Help locating a pattern??-image-jpg 
    Last edited by sarajean1229; 01-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, SaraJean. I would help if I could but I have no answers for you. I hope you find what you're looking for. Have a lovely day!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

3. Likes sarajean1229 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    SaraJean, I took a quick look at Ravelry for the hat pattern you'd like to duplicate in crochet. Cathy Carron is a designer member of Ravelry and I found the hat in her gallery of designs. The hat pattern is called "Whimsical". I looked at the projects tab for Whimsical and found a lot of good clear photos of the hat in a multitude of color combinations. Also, in the description of the hat it mentions that those cables are I-cords which gather at the top to make that fringe.

So, if I were to make that hat in crochet I would make a similar type style with the ribbed folded up brim and the rest made like a beanie, using single crochet. Then I would make the I-cords (extremely fast and easy using a French Knitter) and attach them to the brim. One photo in the projects showed the hat with the I-cords attached but hanging down before taking them up to the crown of the hat and gathering them together for the fringe.

This addy should take you to the projects page for the Whimsical hat. Ravelry: Whimsical pattern by Cathy Carron. This is not a clickable link...you'd have to type it in your browser. Also, you have be a Ravelry member to view it. (If not a member it's very easy and free to join.)

I believe it would be easy to duplicate it in crochet, so maybe you can try it.

I hope this helps a little bit. It is a very cute hat!
    Last edited by Poinciana; 01-23-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you SO MUCH Poinciana! That is so very, very nice of you to take the time to figure this out for me. You are wonderful; I will check it out. Thanks again!!

6. Likes Barbara G. liked this post