Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: allergic

Post Thanks / Like

allergic

I am new to this site but have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a rash on my right and sometimes left forearm and I have narrowed it down to it develops while, or shortly after, I have been knitting or crocheting for a few hours. I have worn long sleeve shirts and I still get the rash, although not every time! am I crazy or is it the yarn?

2. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be the yarn! Have you changed any cleaning products recently? Anything new that touches your skin is suspect. Of course the yarn sounds like the culprit but you need to rule out other sources. You also could try different brands of yarn and see if that makes a difference. You may need to wash the yarn in some kind of pure soap before you use it. I'd put it into a bag with the skein rolled up tight and hope it stays that way. Getting it tangled would be a nightmare.

4. Likes determined_to-crochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Pat! I crochet doileis from cotton thread...
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey pat johnson. You probably are allegic to the yarn----i get a rash on my hand from the yarn and also plastic canvas----it doesn't itch it just breaks out in a rash---do you think iam going to stop crocheting because of this?nooooooooo-you have good day betty bee

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it help when you put itch ing cream on? I use Cortizone 10 it works for me. Hope you get better as No crochet / knitting oh my????? Let us know
    how it goes. If you could talk to a Pharmacist .?? They help me with a lot of Meds knowledge?? Good Luck

8. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to narrow down the possibilities....especially since it only happens sometimes, not every time you knit or crochet. If it is a particular type or brand of yarn, wool may be the most likely culprit. i have family members who can't wear wool ....it causes a rash where ever it touches their skin. If you just note the type of yarn you were working with after session and whether or not you got the rash, you may solve the mystery! Good Luck!

10. Likes determined_to-crochet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellant reply SallySue. Makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using cotton for a while maybe 2 weeks then try your regular yarn. If you break out at the switch you can be sure it is the yarn.

13. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I get like that when I use wool yarn. My hands get red and my neck gets all bloching

Post Thanks / Like
    that happens to me with yarn unless it is the crochet thread cotton am looking to find something that I can use that will not do that it also itiches me hands face eyes run the whole nine yards if you find something that works let me know have a happy day