Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Turing chain question

I have a pattern for straight double crochet stitching with a ruffled border. I have just started on the body. The pattern does not tell me whether or not to make a stitch in the turning chain so I don't think I should, but I need some expert advice from someone. Anyone?
    Thanks so much,
    Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JanAchey View Post
    I have a pattern for straight double crochet stitching with a ruffled border. I have just started on the body. The pattern does not tell me whether or not to make a stitch in the turning chain so I don't think I should, but I need some expert advice from someone. Anyone?
    Thanks so much,
    Jan
    Most of the time, if the pattern does not say to stitch in the turning chain, I don't do that. You may have to do a couple of rows and see how it looks, though.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Thank you Annette. I feel like such a dummy. I taught myself how to crochet from books years ago. I haven't had a hook in my hand in many, many years. I just forgot the basics. I went back to my "how to" books and found my answer. I got back on my afghan and it looks right to me now,
    Again, I thank you for answering me so quickly.

5. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're so welcome, Jan. I myself had crocheted years and years ago when my kids were young, and then didn't crochet for years. When I took it up again a few years ago, about the only thing I really remembered was how to make a chain, lol. I've spent a lot of time online and watching youtube videos to re-learn what I had totally forgotten.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

7. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I did only a little better than you did, but you still seem more up on it than I am. Oh, well. Practice, practice, right?

9. Likes N/A, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What did your books tell you to do, Jan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since the turning chain was the first stich in the row, it said to chain 3 in the top of it. I now have 20 rows on it and it looks great. I can't remember ever having such straight sides. It has a border for it, but I think I could leave off the border and it would be fine. It just wouldn't look as pretty as with it.

12. Likes N/A, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I do a couple rows and then look at how large an opening there is on the side of my work, if it shows I frog and go back and go into the turning chain. If you are doing just DC I suggest you play with it a little and see how you like it. Either way is correct, just a matter of preference.

I often just chain 2 and DC back into the same stitch as the ch 2. It fills in nicely. I saw that on someones video, can't remember if it was bethintx1, Youtube video or not. Tip----- If you do the ch 2 you should slip stitch above the ch 2 if working in the round, you won't see a seam as much that way and the ch 2 hides behind the normal DC stitches.

Judi G

14. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan,
    At the end of row do the stitch in the turning chain. It will make a straight edge. Then when you turn to make the next row,
    the next stitch should not be at the bottom of the chain st. but in the next stitch. Count your stitches in the rows to see if they are even.
    Phyllis

16. Likes N/A, buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jan I have Faith in you , you will do Fine. So glad Buggainok came to the rescue as she is such a good teacher and friend. I
    hope to see a pic of your project???? HUGS Susan M J

18. Likes buggainok liked this post