Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Retro - maybe!

Post Thanks / Like

Retro - maybe!

I have "inherited" some metal crochet hooks like the ones my grandmother used to make crocheted table cloths, scarves, etc. One of them is size 12. Its hook is so small, I think you could crochet with sewing thread. Does anyone have a thought as to how this or these hooks are meant to be used? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used some with crochet thread size 20, I have one that is a 16 I used to use for size 30 thread. You can really make some beautiful doilies with them. I use to only crochet with thread but that was before I had my stroke so now I can only crochet with yarn, wich I don't think is very pretty. But it is better than not crocheting at all.
    Last edited by MeerKat; 01-01-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Size 12 is the hook size recomended for size 30 thread in a pattern I recently saw. I tried size 12 with 30 and i had to switch to size 11, the thread kept slipping off the hook . Size 12 is tiny ! I'd guess that it would work well with size 50 thread which is about as large as heavy duty sewing thread.
    My gramma used size 9 and higher for trimming and edging handkerchiefs.The kind of ladies hanky that peeks out of a 1950's style diner waitresses breast pocket.
    Last edited by Kitty; 01-01-2014 at 11:05 AM.

4. Likes N/A, catbalou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year MeerKat Hope you both had a Peaceful NYE. Having Ham (hubbys doing it) he loves Ham. Not the greatest BUT at 89 EAT ?? I have never
    done thread with OA hands?? Maybe I should try I have time.Have a Good Year in "2014" Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year Susan. Ham is what I had for Xmas. But don't do anything for New Years. I hope 2014 is beter than 2013 was for me but if it continues the way it started I don't have much hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably for very fine work, I believe the higher the number, the smaller the hook. They may have done doilies or intricate lace edgings on ladies hankies also.

LI Roe

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I crochet from #30 thread. I use 0.7 mm hook. The fine thread make the fine doilies...
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    YOU Have HOPE in 2014 & all others. We are here and God is here. How does the saying go...God only Give you What You Can Handle, You are strong & a special lady don't get down & bitter as we are here. Reach out for Help or if you need an EAR mine or others are here for U. HUGS & Prayers. Keep on Crocheting you have a GIFT from God USE IT. xoxoxo Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet hook size 12

The size 12 hook is for very fine thread. I have used it with size 30 crochet thread.
    Hope this helps.
    deneville

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! I am back to this doily. I think 60% are completed
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן