Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a sewing machine!

My mother-in-law bought me a sewing machine for Christmas. Originally, I wanted one to sew fabric onto the backs of my crochet afghans. However, now that I have it, I want to do more with it. It's a Singer Simple. Any tips on getting started, and any SUPER EASY to follow patterns for beginners? Thanks!
    Last edited by Rogue Hobbies; 01-01-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: corrected 2 cell phone grammar errors

2. Likes N/A, MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some fairly easy patterns but I use this site a lot for many different items. All Free Sewing - Free Sewing Patterns, Sewing Projects, Tips, Video, How-To Sew and More just copy and paste you will have to join there page but it is well worth it. I have went through many sewing machines and the one I am using now is on it's last legs. So if you need any pointers please ask. and congrats on getting a machine.

4. Likes N/A, Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the sewing machine. My mom was a professional seamstress and taught me quite a bit and I learned more in Home Ec in high school (not even sure if they teach it anymore, I graduated in 1969). Anyway, I started out doing basic items to get the hang of it and then progressed from there and made my own clothes, doll clothes, home décor items. I am sure youtube may have videos to help you. Also, and again this may depend on school districts, but sometimes classes are offered in the adult education classes.

Have fun and don't forget we would love to see your projects.

LI Roe

6. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Congratulations on the new sewing machine!

8. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATS on the Sewing machine and you will do well as I see ejatchison has ofered and I may ask if I get my self going. Ive had one and only have done crafts on (use to ). Good Luck Hun ! and HAPPY NEW YEAR

10. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congradulatons on the new machine, the very first one I had was an old singer peddle type..I made a few of my daughters toddler dresses. Then quit for years and bought one from Wal Mart, me and that machine didn't get along, I never could seem to get the thread and the bobbin to work together. Never sewed again. Wish I had my old singer back.

12. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Simplicity and McCalls have Very Easy patterns that I have used for years. Made many of my daughters dresses and play clothes. Also made play clothes and a casual suit for my son. Sure saved money making clothing that wore well until outgrown. My daughter was in tears when she outgrew her favorite corduroy jacket. Those truly cheap sewing machine are made with plastic parts and too many times are not timed properly. If you can find an older all metal machine and the matching accessories you will be much happier with the ease of use. Start simple with a skirt or pull on shorts/pants. If the machine has the built in stretch stitch you can make many easy things from knit material. Start with something simple using remnant fabric, it is usually a fraction of the cost for off the bolt material. Read the pattern instructions through several times so you have the steps firmly in your head, less apt to forget an important step.

14. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with grocery bags then went to aprons. I've just been sewing for 2 yrs and really enjoy it

16. Likes Rogue Hobbies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So happy for you! I do not have a sewing machine and would really like one. I have been looking at them for years at walmart - they are very reasonably priced but I always find myself getting something for my daughter, husband, grandchild or just paying bills with the money instead. One of these days I will get one. I will buy one that does everything though since I have waited so long. Enjoy your new toy!

18. Likes MeerKat, Rogue Hobbies liked this post