Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Help w/ Reading Patterns

I'm very new to crocheting and I feel like understanding patterns is super overwhelming. I have done some crocheting in the past (years ago) but only simple stitches as directed by my aunt or grandma. Wondering what the best way is to learn the terminology and stitches so I can eventually make something from a pattern? It seems that even the "beginner" patterns are too complicated! Any suggestions or advice is appreciated, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here is one useful resource listed here on site that may be helpful: http://crochettalk.com/links-resourc...eviations.html

When I first began, I learn the very easy crochet stitches and found patterns which used the stitches to practice. Then, I started learning about other stitches and playing around with them. I also love to watch videos because I am a more visual person and learn better by seeing.

3. Likes catbalou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    sarajean you are lucky to have Youtube to go to and you can learn stitches and techniques. If you have Skype I would be glad to sit down with you and show you stitches that you have questions about or to explain the pattern. I love Skype and I think it would be great for you to read the pattern and for me to explain it.

5. Likes N/A, crochet4fun, catbalou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very kind offer! I have an intro class next week and then I'll let you know if I have questions and we can connect. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    generally there is a box on the pattern that explains the abbreviations and in this day and age you can go online, type in the stitch you want to learn and follow it on a video.....much easier than when I had to learn.....luv learning new stuff now

8. Likes N/A, sarajean1229 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love videos but try to do with out and see how I can do without visual help, good for refresher course (I quit crocheting for a long time, just picked up in the last several yrs. Dont give up. I enjoy trying new sts. and plan on a crazy quilt for self. Try new sts. & yarns. lot to learn on yarn, allways if cost was right not correct /better yarn?? Important when giving or selling/ HUGS

10. Likes sarajean1229, catbalou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a book!! There are so many out there and you can leaf through them and figure out which one makes the most sense, or has pictures that show what each step is supposed to look like. It's easier to look at a book while you're practicing than it is to look at the computer screen, at least to me. AND you can take your time, don't have to rush through it.

I knew virtually nothing about crocheting when I began 30 years ago. My sister had learned to do granny squares, and taught my mother. Then my mother tried to teach me, but couldn't explain it well enough that I understood it. After trying and giving it up several times, I bought myself a few hooks and a skein of yarn, and a book on learning to crochet. I sat down and started experimenting until I felt comfortable. Fortunately, I already knew how to chain, so I started with single crochet. When I felt comfy with that, I started double crocheting. At the same time I was learning abbreviations and symbols. Since I worked in the medical field I was used to abbreviations and acronyms and symbols, so it wasn't that hard.

Video tutorials may work for some people, but I find it difficult because people talk different in other parts of the country and might use different phrases than I am used to. (For instance, some might say "finish off" while others will say "fasten off" or "tie off" or even "bind off.") Also with some tutorials, I have found that some are too slow. And a lot of crocheters hold their hooks different than I do so the pictures tend to throw me off. In the book I used to learn with, it teaches both the English and the Continental method of holding the hook. I tried both and found the one I was most comfortable with... NOT the way my sister or my mother did. I may get laughed at by professionals but I guarantee that my finished project usually turns out just as nice as theirs. It doesn't matter HOW you do it, it's the finished product that counts!! As they say, practice makes perfect, so just practice until you think you've got it right.

12. Likes Lissacc, sarajean1229 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learnt to crochet by buying a "Learn to Crochet" book. But back then I didn't have a Computer. Didn't know of all the things you could do with a PC.

14. Likes sarajean1229, catbalou liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me to SweetPea I need help ?? Be nice !!! Have fun on skype dont you groupies---Say hi from me to them, HUGS xoxox

Post Thanks / Like
    SaraJean, here is a link to a very helpful article about how to read a crochet pattern:

Learn to read crochet patterns
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

17. Likes sarajean1229 liked this post