Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
    Post Thanks / Like

The creator of LB Homespun..............

......hated his mother, who was a crocheter, and created Homespun! LOL!

Good grief, I decided last night to try making this shawl again using the Homespun and it's still next to impossible. If I knew how to do it I would change it from a crochet pattern to a knitting pattern. I think Homespun is easier to knit than to crochet.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

2. Likes amanda, N/A, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I made an afghan with Homespun a couple years ago, took me nearly a year to finish it, but I have to say that once I got going with it, it was a lot easier than it was at first. One thing is, I used a K hook.. smaller hooks just don't work well. And I tried to work slower than usual, because of the little fibers getting tangled. Once it was finished, it was very nice though... and HEAVY! Not sure I would ever use it again, though.

4. Likes buggainok, Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made an afghan with Homespun several years ago, using two strands and a huge hook. It turned out pretty well, but I was so glad to be done with it! The afghan didn't hold up well, and it really seemed to "pill" with use. I decided never to use Homespun again, and I haven't. The colors are pretty, but it's too hard to work with, and then as I said, it didn't wear well.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

6. Likes MeerKat, Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, guess what? I finally got the shawl going. My hang-up was the starting chain and then crocheting a dc into each stitch of it. I have no idea how many starts I made. When I did the chain with an "N" hook it all worked out fine. It was the biggest sloppiest chain I ever made, LOL, but once I got the next row of all dc's across the chain it all came together. I had switched to a "K" hook for that. And now I'm going like a wildfire with it!

I'm aware of all the negative issues with Homespun but since I have so much of it in different colorways, and that stuff is pricey, I can't just toss it. I had decided to donate all of it but I just had this thing about conquering it. I won't use it to make anything for anyone else. Can you imagine making an item for someone with Homespun and have it fall apart and all those other goofy things? So this shawl is for my own use and when it starts to get cruddy I'll line the cat's bed with it, lol! He already wants it because he watches every stitch I make and hopes he can play with it. Crazy kitty!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

8. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Well, guess what? I finally got the shawl going. My hang-up was the starting chain and then crocheting a dc into each stitch of it. I have no idea how many starts I made. When I did the chain with an "N" hook it all worked out fine. It was the biggest sloppiest chain I ever made, LOL, but once I got the next row of all dc's across the chain it all came together. I had switched to a "K" hook for that. And now I'm going like a wildfire with it!

I'm aware of all the negative issues with Homespun but since I have so much of it in different colorways, and that stuff is pricey, I can't just toss it. I had decided to donate all of it but I just had this thing about conquering it. I won't use it to make anything for anyone else. Can you imagine making an item for someone with Homespun and have it fall apart and all those other goofy things? So this shawl is for my own use and when it starts to get cruddy I'll line the cat's bed with it, lol! He already wants it because he watches every stitch I make and hopes he can play with it. Crazy kitty!
    Poinciana Rules!! So glad you got it going. The afghan I made was really lovely looking and I gave it to my daughter-in-law. She had it draped on her sofa for quite a while and I know she liked it. It got "retired" when it started to pill up.

On the subject of stuff holding up, I have a granny square afghan that my dear departed mother made for me at least 30 years ago. It was made with Red Heart in crazy quilt colors with a black background. It has been dragged around by my grandchildren and washed time after time, and it still looks pretty good!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

10. Likes amanda, MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    Poinciana Rules!! So glad you got it going. The afghan I made was really lovely looking and I gave it to my daughter-in-law. She had it draped on her sofa for quite a while and I know she liked it. It got "retired" when it started to pill up.

On the subject of stuff holding up, I have a granny square afghan that my dear departed mother made for me at least 30 years ago. It was made with Red Heart in crazy quilt colors with a black background. It has been dragged around by my grandchildren and washed time after time, and it still looks pretty good!
    What a treasure!

I have the shawl half-done now! Yay!

12. Likes amanda, buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to make something with homespun and I was determined, I don't remember what it was but it was to frustrating! I did accomplish to crochet some nice comfortable slippers with homespun, it definitely was not easy at all like redheart or other yarns! They are so soft! I need to crochet some more after 2 years they have no heels and I have mended them numerous times! Good luck with your shawl! My puppies love sleeping with my slippers! LOL! Love to see the finished project! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

14. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Amanda good luck at crochet new slippers. I have never used homespun yarn. Where do you find it? Yes, good luck with shawl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Homespun I never used this as I do have a Gift Box from a Very Special CT Friend "YARN " maybe some is in there ?? I would like to see what its like . Thanks for all your opinions.