Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Post Thanks / Like

Why you should over price!

Why you should over price!
    I get asked daily for pricing advice, so I decided to put a post together on the topic Hope you enjoy!
    What should you really be asking when pricing your crochet? <--Click to read
    http://stitch11.com/

2. Likes Nova55, DinahRoberts, Ginnie256 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting! That is an issue that has stopped me from crocheting to sell for a long time.

4. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with your article, however, family sometimes makes a person feel bad for charging for an item. I come from a rather large family, 11 siblings in all and they have kids etc. What to do about that.....

6. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so happy to make items and donate or give away and I don't worry about the money!

8. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With my family I usually just give the items to them. Sometimes my sister or some inlaws will buy the yarn for me to make the items and I have had cousins pay me to make things... it really just depends on the situation each time and if I have the money to buy the yarn or the time it takes to work up what they want/need. But this article is more for the people who sell things for a living. If I do not need the money... I would rather crochet for smiles
    http://stitch11.com/

10. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a holiday craft show last month and there were several booths set up with handmade crochet items. Most of the ladies were sitting at their booths crocheting their brains out LOL. I was particularly interested in one lady's booth, she had gorgeous items, mostly matching hats and scarves sets in brilliant colors. Her displays were very professional she had the hats and scarves on those styrofoam wig heads which made a big difference than if she just laid them all out on a table like the other sellers. She priced her hat/scarf sets at $25, which I thought was a major bargain for the high quality of her items. I noticed she was sitting in her chair crocheting more scarves and she was using a very large hook (maybe a size "Q"?) which works up very quickly and uses less yarn. She also had several small blankets, like a small child would use for nap time or even for their dolls. They were $20 each which again, I thought was very reasonable.

I live in a small country town in Alabama, it's a place where most people don't have a lot of money. I'm sure in larger cities, people would be willing to pay much much more for handmade items.

Just my two cents...

Shelley

12. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you are so right, Pixieglitter! I have done 2 craft shows. One was a total bust because the people in the area just didn't have the discretionary income; they loved my work but they just didn't have the money. The second one was was fantastic! It was a Christmas craft show held in the community college gym and the customers were charged $1 entrance fee. I grossed $1000! (BTW, this was 1995). I looked up craft show info around here and it's really expensive, which is why I haven't done one. For 2 1/2 days and a 8' x 8' booth they charge $208 plus 20% of your sales. Sticker shock!!! Last year it was $125 for the booth and I thought that was bad. I think if I'm going to do anything around here I'll probably try a farmers' market first. And I'll seriously consider raising my prices!

14. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could sell what I make, but I love the smiles more than money! Wouldn't mind the money, just crochet for my ain and others happiness! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say •'Thank you' again for this article! It has helped me a lot!

17. Likes amanda liked this post