Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New here

Post Thanks / Like

New here

Hello everyone!

After quite some time, I'm getting back into crocheting. I used to crochet only blankets but thanks to youtube, I'm expanding to many other things! And since my hubby and I are trying to have a baby, I'm crocheting baby things.

I'm having issues with one thing over the years and hopefully I can finally get it straight! My first chain row is ALWAYS tighter than the rest and so it always makes my blankets, scarves etc have one side that is weird. What am I doing wrong? Is it a matter of me crocheting it too tight?

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone's work!

~Pamela

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Pamela! Welcome to the Forum. I am Larisa doily maker
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to Crochet Talk! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you with us! Please pull up a chair with some coffee or cocoa and enjoy! Thanks for joining us!

Sounds like maybe you are doing your first row tightly crocheted. Try relaxing when you get started on the project, or crochet with one hook size bigger for your initial row then switch to the correct size. Just some thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    My chain rows are usually tighter too - you can use a size or two larger hook for the chain and then switch back to the one called for. Also in some patterns you can do a foundation stitch which has the chain and the first row done together - called chainless foundation by some. Here is a link to a picture tutorial futuregirl craft blog : Tutorial: Foundation Single Crochet There are some things on youtube also - look for Maggie Weldon or Bethintx1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctymom View Post
    Hello everyone!

After quite some time, I'm getting back into crocheting. I used to crochet only blankets but thanks to youtube, I'm expanding to many other things! And since my hubby and I are trying to have a baby, I'm crocheting baby things.

I'm having issues with one thing over the years and hopefully I can finally get it straight! My first chain row is ALWAYS tighter than the rest and so it always makes my blankets, scarves etc have one side that is weird. What am I doing wrong? Is it a matter of me crocheting it too tight?

~Pamela

Post Thanks / Like
    Citymom, If it calls to do your blanket in G ,do your first chain in H then go back to the G it do your crocheting on the blanket. My sis had a terrible time with crocheting so tight, she would go several hooks to get her swatch the right size. I am just the opposite, I drop down a size to get the swatch right. You can always take it out and use the yarn. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ctymom welcome to our little community which is huge. I crochet allot of afghans in my twenties. Like doing other things. I have trouble making things to wear I make them way too big. But like to try to learn how to do that to make it right. Congradulations it is wonderful to have babies mine are all grown and not a grandmother. I like making prayer shawls. You will be a pro at it be patient

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Barbara G. I had trouble at times making my first row too tight. That sounds like and is a good idea to use a bigger crochet hook for the first row.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctymom View Post
    Hello everyone!

~Pamela
    Hi,
    Try the chainless foundation.