Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: online sales

Post Thanks / Like

online sales

I have had several people to suggest that I get an etsy shop for my items. What are yalls opinions about it? Is it worth it or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it ended up not really being worth it. None of my items were really selling even though they were unique / good prices (imo.) If you are really good at advertising it's worth it. But you have to pay fees when you post an item and when it sells. Recently I've just told people I will do commissions and we can just go through paypal. Though sadly I still don't have any orders (except one local and one pending payment.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberMuffinz View Post
    For me it ended up not really being worth it. None of my items were really selling even though they were unique / good prices (imo.) If you are really good at advertising it's worth it. But you have to pay fees when you post an item and when it sells. Recently I've just told people I will do commissions and we can just go through paypal. Though sadly I still don't have any orders (except one local and one pending payment.)
    Thanks for your advice. That was my thinking about an online account like that. I have posted items on facebook this year and have done really good with that but like you said they are local people and I know them.

Post Thanks / Like
    When people ask me why I don't sell on Etsy I say that here are thousands of crocheters that sell on Etsy and unless your name is known there is too much competition. I think it isn't a good marketing choice if you have only a few pieces or want to take commissions.

Post Thanks / Like
    In October I opened a store on Bonanza.com. So far I've only sold one item, but I know I'm going to have to do a lot of social networking to find my niche. I chose Bonanza because you don't have to pay them anything until you sell something (3.5%) and I use Paypal (2.9% on total - item + shipping, plus 30 cents). Of what I have read, it's absolutely necessary to promote your work mercilessly. One person said if you're not constantly promoting you won't sell much; another said it can take 2 - 3 years to pick up all the "tricks of the trade". Some people will start out by selling supplies too; bring them in with a purchase of yarn and maybe they'll decide one of your items is just what they need. Selling your patterns is another way to sell to the knit/crochet group too.
    Another person suggested becoming an affiliate of a company (or 200) can help bring in money. Just don't think that you can put your items online and start selling immediately. There is a woman on Bonanza who undoubtedly found her niche - she's selling scarf and hat sets for $80 plus, and taking commissions. I don't know how long I'll continue trying to make a go of my store, but then I've just started. I thought I knew what I was getting into......ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, social networking and advertising etc are the ways to get your stuff sold. There is just so much competition out there. I thought of using ebay but the prices have to be so low there that it is really not worth it. Maybe if you have a very unique set of items - like those crocheted animals. Sorry there is so much competition and it seems like those with the most money - have the best ads and get all the attention. Those of us that really need the start - don't get much of a chance.

If it is your dream though - go for it - can't hurt and you never know - you just might have that item that soars to the top. Best of luck to you!