Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

I Took a Little Detour

After my last post I said that I was going to start the black cat. Well, that was kind of true. But first I decided to take a break and crochet the Cuddle Me Bear from Amigurumi Today. That bear stole my heart quite a while ago and I just couldn't wait any longer. Plus, the designer has taken basically the same body and created quite a few more animals, each cuter than the next (of course!) and she's come out with some mini versions, about 4" tall. If you enjoy amigurumi, please check out this site - you'll be glad you did. Just be prepared for an overload of cuteness!

I Took a Little Detour-cuddle-bear-amigurumi-jpg
    Cuddle Me Bear from Amigurumi Today, pattern here

I Took a Little Detour-20190919_130332-copy-2-jpg
    My Version

But never fear! After my appetite for 6" tall bears was sated, I did go on to crochet the black cat. I finally decided on a very cute guy named Charlie the Kitten by Kate E. Hancock. (Please click on the link if you want to see Charlie; I am not a tech wizard and my computer will not let me copy him to his post.)

I Took a Little Detour-black-cat-3-jpg
    My version of Charlie the Kitten

My version ended up being rather different than the designer's because 1. the request was for a green-eyed black cat and 2. I wanted to make her female, so I made the feet smaller and the arms a little shorter. This is the first black item I've made. Now I know why people don't work with dark colors other than as an accent! Plus trying to take a photo that would show some detail was challenging too. Luckily I had a sunny day.

As you might know if you've followed this blog, it was six years ago this month that I tried my hand at a crochet business. I had some sales, but in truth, I've made a lot more money with garage sales than with this business! Wearing every hat to try to run a creative business was just beyond me. Plus, since I have come to take care of my mother, there is always something that needs to be tended to, which leaves me even less time. So I have closed the doors to my Bonanza store and I might do the same to my Pinterest, Tumbler, and Twitter accounts. I intend to keep writing this blog and to keep my Facebook account, at least for the time being.

I do want to sincerely thank everyone that has followed my blog or just dropped by to check out what was happening - especially those who have left comments! - and I will do my best to get more posts up in the future. Till then, happy crocheting!
    Last edited by Nova55; 10-14-2019 at 01:35 PM.

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Nova55!

4. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55, What an adorable little bear and cat. I had to finish reading your blog to see why Charlie was wearing a pink ribbon around his neck. I thought he looked like a female cat so I am glad you wrote that you changed it up from a boy to a girl now you need to change her name. (although my son brought a cat home to keep and named it Charlie after a trip to the vet he changed her name from Charlie to Sarah. They are really nicely made.
    Sorry to hear you are closing down your business but I can understand you can't do everything when you are a caregiver.
    I hope all is well with you and I look forward to seeing some more cuteness from you,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, Spoula. The original designer's pattern was called Charlie the Cat, and hers definitely looks like a boy. The girl I made the cat for didn't designate a boy or girl, so I chose. And the same thing happened to my husband - after taking the cat to the vet, the name was changed to a female name! But your son could have kept "Charlie" - that's just short for Charlene. That reminds me of the story about a family who inherited a 40-year-old parrot by the name of Harry. Then Harry laid an egg. Harry became Harriet from that point forward.

7. Likes spoula liked this post