Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Still Hangin' in There

It looks like since I've been in Chicago to take care of my mom that one post a month on my blog will probably be the best I'll be able to do. {It has been determined that my mom needs someone to live with her, so I'll be staying in Chicago.} All the "after hospital" visits are now over so things have quieted down considerably. Whew! I appreciate the quiet. Now my next venture is to really go through the house and clean. I hate housework, but despite what my mom says, I know she hasn't been able to really properly clean for at least a few years now (and of course she refused to get a maid!). So today I attacked the tv room. It took over two hours, but it's as clean as I can get it.

In between all the appointments, cooking, and other cleaning, I did manage to get a couple hours in the evenings to work on more cross stitch. Currently I'm at four down and seven more to go, not counting the butterfly -

Still Hangin' in There-20190709_101458-copy-2-copy-jpg

Still Hangin' in There-20190709_101707-2-jpg

Still Hangin' in There-20190709_101652-copy-2-jpg

It always amazes me at how long these small kits take to do, but then again, they do have so many little stitches! As you can see, I haven't cut them out to assemble the ornaments yet. I'll get to that later. I know - famous last words!

Now, as I said in my last post, I've been going through extreme crochet withdrawl. Trust me, it has not been pretty. Then I had a chance to meet up with my nieces and nephews and their children recently, and it dawned on me that I've never made anything for this latest generation. What a horrid aunt I've been! So I asked them all what their favorite animal was and I'm in the process of making amigurumi for them. Luckily, I was able to find adorable patterns for each of the animals. Paid patterns (except for one), but cute just the same. This is the one for Lorelei that I'm working on now.

Still Hangin' in There-toy-owl-2-jpg
    Toy Owl by Tanya Makarova of NustyUA, pattern here

This owl is sooo cute, but you definitely need some patience. So. Many. Feathers!!! And then you have to sew each one on. I'm sure it will be worth it, though. With any luck, my next post will show you the end result. Till then - happy crocheting!

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova,
    Good to hear from you. Glad things are starting to quiet down for you now. Are you talking about the butterfly on your avatar? Nice cross stitch work! Good work on the owl too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Nova,
    Good to hear from you. Glad things are starting to quiet down for you now. Are you talking about the butterfly on your avatar? Nice cross stitch work! Good work on the owl too!
    Thanks, Jean Marie. The butterfly that I was talking about was a cross stitch I bought on Etsy. Here's a pic of a completed one - not my work -

Still Hangin' in There-butterfly-cross-stitch-jpg

I fell in love with this butterfly, but I haven't done any cross stitch in a long time and I think I made some mistakes on it. Hopefully nothing critical.

That pic of the owl is the designer's work; mine is still under construction! I didn't order the same yarn that she used, but I think mine will still turn out ok. I'll be sure to post a pic when it's done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55, Nice to hear from you. I am glad your mother has you to keep her company and see to her doctor visits.
    Chicago is not as warm as where you use to live so this winter you will have plenty of time to crochet (ha).
    Your cross stitch is so cute and I really like the Owl. Who says you are not a good aunt?

Glad to have you back on the forum.
    Spoula

6. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello Nova55, Nice to hear from you. I am glad your mother has you to keep her company and see to her doctor visits.
    Chicago is not as warm as where you use to live so this winter you will have plenty of time to crochet (ha).
    Your cross stitch is so cute and I really like the Owl. Who says you are not a good aunt?

Glad to have you back on the forum.
    Spoula
    Thanks, Spoula! Talking about doctor visits, I had to take my mom to another one today. She was complaining of being dizzy but her vitals were fine. Doctor says it's because she isn't doing her walking/exercises like she's supposed to. I had no idea that the lack of exercising could make her dizzy. But then again, I'm sure things are different at 92.

Came across this dress and couldn't help thinking of you and the lovely dresses you make -

Still Hangin' in There-blue-dress-jpg
    Still Hangin' in There-ble-dress-1-jpg
    Still Hangin' in There-blue-dress-2-jpg

I know the charts don't show everything, but you were so clever with that other dress, I figured this one would be a breeze. I showed the charts because the place I found it was a Spanish speaking forum, not an actual designer with a website, so there was no one I could actually credit.

I guess I felt I was being a lousy aunt because the only things I made these kids were baby blankets when they were born (and at least one of them, not even that!), where the newest additions to my family have gotten so much from me. No one has complained, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55, Thanks for thinking of me with this lovely dress. It looks just like the ones I like to make. I like the stitches for the top they are different then some of the things I have made.

The doctors tell you that you should walk a little each day it is really good for the memory and helps not to get dizzy. Try to get her up each day even if it is to walk around the house any little movement will help.
    When my mother was at home the nurse put bags of dried peas on her legs and made her move them up and down. I don't know if it worked or not but my mother thought it was funny God love her.

Spoula

9. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post