Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Best Laid Plans

Post Thanks / Like

Best Laid Plans

At the beginning of this year I promised myself that I would post every week and become much more involved in social media to try to promote my store's patterns and products. For a while I wasn't doing too bad. But for those who have been paying attention, you know I totally fell off the wagon mid-April. Well, there was a very good reason for that.

On April 11th my mom fell and dislocated her hip replacement. This is the second time she's done that, and the third time she's fallen. Of course she went to the hospital and they put her hip back in place, along with three weeks of rehab. She came home May 1st and I have been living with/taking care of her since (I flew out from CA to Chicago the last week in April). But I guess when you're as old as my mom (92 yrs - and yes, she still lives in her own home), the medical oversight can't stop there. The past four weeks have been a whirlwind of physical therapy, occupational therapy, home nurse visits, personal care visits, and doctor appointments. Tomorrow we go to her orthopedist, where she's wants to get the ok to take off the massive hip brace she's wearing. Let's hope!

Of course, all this has meant that I have had to put any crochet on hold. After the last baby blanket I made, my hands (particularly my thumbs) were complaining loudly, so I decided to take a little break and try my hand at a beautiful counted cross stitch butterfly. I now realize how important it is to be AWAKE when you attempt counted cross stitch. I do believe that I've messed up part of the butterfly. I decided to put it aside and practice with other simpler counted cross stitch projects, hoping that these will get my brain in gear for the butterfly.

Best Laid Plans-20190525_174828-2-jpg

The Wire Whimsy kits are copyrighted 1995. Could it be possible I bought them THAT long ago?!! Anyway, I think I was in Joanne's after Christmas one year and these were on sale for 75 cents each (normally $4.49), so I picked up eleven of them. They have been very patiently waiting in a box for me - with a couple of other projects (that I haven't touched either) to keep them company. So far I've managed to finish the one Santa. I didn't like the stars on his goodie bag so I didn't include them, but I do want to put something on the bag because it looks a bit plain. I'll figure something out, but suggestions are welcome.

Best Laid Plans-20190525_174720-2-jpg

When I was packing for the trip, I wanted to bring some yarn with me but just got the hooks in the suitcase. The plan was for me to stay until Mom got the brace off (6 to 8 weeks), and packing for such a long stay is daunting! Anyway, I packed the yarn and the suitcase ended up two inches too large. If the airline wanted to get picky they could've charged me an extra $200. I chose not to risk it. The yarn had to be left behind, but I brought all the cross stitch ornaments.

I broke down, though. I am going through a severe crocheting withdrawal (yes, really!!!) and I couldn't help myself - a company offered $1.99 shipping and I ordered five skeins of #1 lace yarn. It's Lion Brand Amazing Lace, and I'm so hoping I won't be disappointed. The reviews were good - keeping my fingers crossed. I already have at least two patterns I want to make with the yarn, so I'm ready!

At this point things are up in the air as to whether I'm going to stay here with my mom or go back to CA. Much depends on how well she can do for herself on a daily basis. My SIL has been a Godsend - taking care of the shopping and driving her back and forth to appointments - but that's the limit for her, considering she's still running her own family. I still have another month to go, so we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'll post when I can - and as always, Happy Crocheting!

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55,
    I was wondering what had happned to you. So sorry to hear about your mothers fall. At 92 and still living at home is amazing. It is not easy taking care of ones mother.

Mine had cancer and every day was a blessing that she was still living.
    She also lived alone and I had to move in order to take care of her.
    Toward the end she didn't know me and that was the hard part for me. Every day since I am happy that I was able to be with her and help her.

I wish your mother God speed in her recovery and yours.

On a lighter note: I liked your cross stitch you do nice even work.

Spoula

4. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your post. I am of the opinion that I will need to move in to take care of Mom, because I think she just doesn't have the energy to do daily things anymore. Plus the basement stairs are too dangerous for her, and that's where the washer and dryer are. She has been living in this house for over 60 years and she wants to stay here, so my moving in would enable her to do that. I'm sorry your mother had to go through that, but I'm glad you were able to be with her.

And though I'm no cross stitch wizard, crocheting has taught me that even stitches tend to look the best!

6. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    On Santa's bag you might want to put snowflakes - x's with a plus sign through the x.

Since you're not crocheting now maybe you can google some patterns that you want to make. Maybe when you get back to crocheting you'll be so happy that you can crochet that you'll crochet something big. And maybe you're supposed to crochet something big for someone or crochet a lot of little things. Hopefully you can get back to crocheting soon but it's nice that you are taking care of your Mom and you flew all the way from CA to help her out. Let us know what you decided to crochet when you get back to it.
    The cross stitch looks nice.
    Jean Marie
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 05-31-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jean Marie! I love the idea of snowflakes on Santa's bag. I have some tiny snowflake buttons back in CA, but I'd need to see them laying on the cross stitch to see if they would work. I keep looking at crochet patterns and drooling, and I'm so impatiently waiting for the yarn I ordered to get here. Soon, I hope.

9. Likes spoula liked this post