Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

My Only Sunshine

Apparently I have entered the stage of my life where the "children" are now having children. I'm not a grandmother yet, but I know plenty of women who are. That being said, one of my sister-in-law's girls is currently expecting her third - the gender has not been revealed - and so I thought it would be nice to make something for the newbie.

My Only Sunshine-img_1200-copya-jpg

So, what to make? In trying to keep with my use-up-the-stash resolution, I wandered through the yarn I had and found some light yellow and golden yellow, perfect for something gender neutral. And then, Voila! - the Sunshine Baby Blanket was born.

My Only Sunshine-img_1203-copya-jpg

I recently discovered the Crystal Wave stitch and I wanted to try my hand at it (pattern by Crochet for Baby) so that became the bulk of the blanket. Then I decided to use the golden yellow to create a small bobble border. Just because I think bobbles are fun, and babies should have fun things!

My Only Sunshine-img_1204-copya-jpg

Then lastly, I needed to find a little sun for the corner of the blanket. There are many adorable suns in Crochetland, but the sweet little Sol Amigurumi from Vanessa Doncatto of the Yarn Handmade's Ravelry Store stole my heart - and it's a free pattern, too! Definitely a win-win.

So as I try to get "You are my Sunshine" out of my head, I wish you happy crocheting!

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55, Love the blanket and the sunshine is adorable. You might want to change out the eyes unless they are yarn and not something a baby can put into their mouths. As they get attached to their blanket the corners go into their mouths or their little fingers pick at something until they get it into their little hands then into their mouths.

Everything goes into my grandchildren's mouths even things that are not food, dirty fingers, toys.
    So I had to rethink when I make something for them that won't harm them.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I'm not getting the newsletter notices in my email (already wrote to Barbara G), so I finally found your response in spam.

I'm thinking that the mom will probably take the sun amigurumi off, but I did use safety eyes and I did check to see if they are securely on. Yes, I had 2 kids of my own, and everything goes in their mouths! I've tried my hand at embroidering eyes directly on to the crochet, but I find I really suck at it. I can embroider on cloth, but on crochet is a real problem for me. Even the mouths and noses can be a difficult, but I'm getting better with the mouths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I'm not getting the newsletter notices in my email (already wrote to Barbara G), so I finally found your response in spam.

I'm thinking that the mom will probably take the sun amigurumi off, but I did use safety eyes and I did check to see if they are securely on. Yes, I had 2 kids of my own, and everything goes in their mouths! I've tried my hand at embroidering eyes directly on to the crochet, but I find I really suck at it. I can embroider on cloth, but on crochet is a real problem for me. Even the mouths and noses can be a difficult, but I'm getting better with the mouths.
    Hello Nova55, I had the same problem not getting my emails to post that I subscribe to. It took awhile to get fixed and a few days later I started getting the emails but I had already seen them on the forum. It worked its self out after awhile. Hey I meant no harm about the Sunshine eyes I think it is adorable but I get over protected with babies and little ones. I was not like that with my own when they were young. I may remember it differently but I can't remember them ever putting anything in their mouths but food and junk.That is not the same for my grand children. I think babies and toddlers do not have any taste buds my little one will eat anything she can pick up with her fingers. Except food that is good for her she will try to work around something she thinks she doesn't like. If is funny to watch her my son says it is because she does not like the texture of fruit in her yogurt. She licks around to get the cream but won't let the fruit touch her tongue.

spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    The Crystal Wave Stitch looks interesting. Is it a easy stitch to do? The sun is cute too. Good job on the blanket.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    No offense taken. I understand perfectly where you were coming from. Once I was making something and tested the safety eyes - and one pulled out so easy it was shocking! This time I cut out a round piece of batting slightly smaller than the yarn circle, put two little holes in it, and poked the safety eyes through the batting.Then I pushed on the back of the eye. The only way the eye could be pulled out (unless the eye itself failed) is if the entire piece of batting and the other eye was pulled out too, which would mean the crocheting itself would have to be ripped apart. I could see a dog doing this, but not a baby. Because of my one safety eye failure, I will from now on ALWAYS put either a large piece of batting or felt behind the safety eyes so there is no danger of pulling the eyes out between the crochet stitches.
    Your granddaughter sound like a real hoot! I can't blame her with the fruit in the yogurt - it is kind of mushy. I don't mind that, but I can see where others might. I had a nephew that primarily ate carrots for awhile, and he did start getting an orange hue to his skin. I've heard that babies have the most taste buds and that as we age our buds die off slowly. But then why will toddlers be willing to ingest such awful tasting (and sometimes poisonous) stuff? Just curiosity/learning about the world, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Nova55,
    The Crystal Wave Stitch looks interesting. Is it a easy stitch to do? The sun is cute too. Good job on the blanket.
    Jean Marie
    Thank you! The crystal wave stitch isn't hard to do at all, and I really like the lacy-ish effect it has. This is the pattern I used - .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    Thanks for the video. I see after the video is a Crystal Waves C2C.

10. Likes N/A liked this post