Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini-Waves Stitch

I found this particular stitch on Pinterest. Originally it seems to have come from a Russian site, ellej.org, although I couldn't find it currently on her page. I also couldn't find a name associated with the stitch, so because of how my version looks, I decided to name it the Mini-Waves stitch. I used Caron SS and a size H hook to make the sample.

Mini-Waves Stitch-img_1196-copy-2-jpg
    My version - Ta Da!

The original photo looks a bit more like a honeycomb, but there are crochet stitches with that name already, so I took a pass.

Mini-Waves Stitch-texture-stitch-1-copy-jpg

After I made a swatch, I was really surprised at how it turned out. I had expected a thick, squishy textured stitch, possibly good for a scarf or even an afghan. It's not. It's very stretchy, which might be all right for a hat. It's also a much more open stitch than what the original photo conveys (see second photo of my version below). The "wave" part is made from the ch 3 and it isn't attached to the main fabric, so it would be very easy to get something stuck in it and pull it out of shape. This stitch might work better in a smaller but sturdy yarn (cotton blend perhaps) and you need to work it fairly tight.

Mini-Waves Stitch-img_1197a-copy-2-jpg
    My version stretched and pinned to show open weave of the stitch

Mini-Waves Stitch-texture-stitch-1-copy-2-jpg

I still really like the look of the Mini-Waves stitch, but I don't feel it's very practical. It might work for a hat as long as you're careful not to catch anything in those ch 3's, but it would be way to stretchy for an afghan/blanket and too delicate for a scarf. JMO!

Of course, you don't have to take my opinion for it - why not give the Mini-Waves stitch a try for yourself? I'd love to hear what all of you have to say. And as always, happy crocheting!

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at the chart above - what are those backwards c's on the chart? Does it mean anything that the chains on the bottom of the chart are different colors? I can see the sample you did (the picture on the top) looks like waves.