Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Ode to the Granny Square

As pretty as the traditional granny square is, it seems that in the past few years that there has been an explosion of absolutely magnificent designs. Personally, I've never been really into motif-type designs (although I have made a couple of blankets with them), but with the designs I'm seeing now, I might just have a go!

Some designs are so detailed with many color changes, I'd think for time's sake it would be best to work squares for the parameter of a blanket versus every part of it - but that choice is up to the crocheter, of course. I also love how some squares have been enlarged to make a throw pillow or miniaturized to make coasters. Without further adieu, here are my picks for some of the most beautiful of the designs available -

Ode to the Granny Square-square-blizzard-warning-2-2-jpg
    Very appropriate for this winter! Blizzard Warning from Polly of Every Trick on the Hook, free pattern here

Ode to the Granny Square-square-victorian-dream-square-2-jpg
    Victorian Dream Square by Cindy Arman, free pattern here. You know I had to include a little lace, right?

Ode to the Granny Square-square-pondoland-jpg
    Dainty, detailed, and delightful! The Pondoland Square by Jen Tyler, paid pattern here

Ode to the Granny Square-square-modified-granny-jpg
    Love Ladder Square, free video instruction here. Even though this isn't the most elaborate square, I really liked the twist on the basic design!

Ode to the Granny Square-square-granny-square-diagram-19-copy-2-jpg
    Absolutely sumptuous! Diagram #19 from Crochet Kingdom, free chart here

Ode to the Granny Square-square-monkey-2-jpg
    One for the babies! Monkey Square by Caitie Moore of Thoresby Cottage, paid pattern here. She has collaborated with AllCrochetPatterns.net with many more animal squares. Visit her blog for more info.

Ode to the Granny Square-square-square-star-jpg
    Love the colors in this Amazing Star Square offered by Kathy B from Queen of All Crafts, paid pattern here

Ode to the Granny Square-squre-elements-copy-jpg
    And last but not least, the Elements CAL from 2017 that gave us such dazzling patterns! Designed by Sandra Kuijer; free pattern here

Hope these have given you some inspiration - happy crocheting!

2. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova55, These are lovely and I like them all thanks for sharing. I looked at the pattern of the Ladder square and it is not in English nor is the video. I used Google Translate and it was in Turkish. The other day I found a picture of a beautiful crochet top I want to make and it was also in Turkish but no pattern they made the items and they were for sale only. I have looked at Pinterest once and all of a sudden I am bombarded by Pinterest patterns all in different languages. What a small world we have and how wonderful to see all the beautiful possibilities we might never had been privileged to see before.

I have never been a real die hard fan of Granny Squares but the news ones are challenging and I like that but I don't like to join them.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, joining can be as tedious as weaving in ends! Some of these squares are so elaborate though, I couldn't imagine doing an entire blanket/afghan in them. I think crocheting the middle (you'd have to do the math, of course) then using the fancy squares either as a border or just at both ends would still be nice.

5. Likes spoula liked this post