Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

A Bad Case of the Doldrums

For whatever reason, I've been dealing with a rather long period of the "blahs". It's not often I get this way and usually after a couple weeks I snap out of it, but this time it's lingering. This is how I felt by Christmas, and I ended up spending most of that day in and out of sleep on the couch.

A Bad Case of the Doldrums-santa-cat-jpg
    To see gif, go here.

Perhaps part of it is because SoCal has been getting a lot of rain lately (our winter), and rain always makes me want to curl up under some blankets and just watch tv or read a good book.

Anyway, I have been making a valiant effort. Since my YS took his paper Christmas tree present with him when he moved out, I began a crochet tree to replace it. I've written down the pattern for future reference, I'm almost done with the crocheting part, I have a pretty filigree star to go on the top, and I bought lovely gold pearls to decorate the tree with - and then I ran out of steam. So it is currently sitting on top of my entertainment unit, mocking me every chance it gets. Plus I'm still working on my Nest Stitch Shawl.

Then I decided that I should make something out of the two skeins of Mandala Sparkle that I couldn't resist picking up. I can't tell you any more at this point, because I'm hoping this will be a present - sorry, you'll have to wait. But now I've gotten bored with this one too.

I've been told that two more women of the family are pregnant and due in June and July. I bought a wonderful pattern from Kate Wagstaff called the Queen of Hearts Afghan (paid pattern here), which I think would make a great wedding/baby shower present. I plan on using Caron Simply Soft in white for the base, and blue mint, blackberry (a pink), limelight (a green), and persimmon (an orange) for alternating heart colors to give to the 1st-timer due in June. The woman who's due in July already has two girls, so I'm not sure if we'll be having a shower for her yet, but I'll make something for her anyway.

A Bad Case of the Doldrums-queen_of_hearts_afghan_7_small2-jpg
    Queen of Hearts Afghan By Kate Wagstaff

I know this is rather late, but I hope that all of you had a wonderful New Year's. I won't be doing a "resolutions" post this year. The fact is that my resolutions are still the same - keep using my yarn stash (ok, I'm trying!), post three times a month, make my quilt afghan, and create my butterfly box. I did use some of my stash last year, but I was very bad and bought more yarn. I did finish the Martha Stewart fabric balls craft AND I finally finished organizing my bedroom/craft room - Yeah, two off the list! And of course there's always the loose 10+ pounds, eat right, exercise more, and establish world peace. Maybe I'm just dragging my heels because if I actually finish the resolutions I'd have to come up with more (although that last one may take a while...).

Till next time, happy crocheting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year Nova55,
    I love your post you and I could be sisters. We have the same resolutions but you finish some of yours I never get started.

That Queen of Hearts afghan looks complicated so you need to start that when your blahs issue goes away (ha).
    The baby blanket for the baby due in June will be lovely, beautiful choice of colors.

The baby boy for our family that was due in February was born last Sunday the morning after we arrived back in the states. He was 3 weeks earlier and the mother lost all of her red blood cells so they had to take the baby earlier. He only weighed 5 pounds so he is not considered a premature baby and he is doing fine but the mother is not doing too good.

The sweaters I made will be a long time before he can wear them he is so tiny.

Another early day for me up at 4:30 this morning waiting for daylight so I can rake leaves and clean up the yard if it doesn't rain. (just a note I don't work alone my husband does all the work I just follow him around complaining how cold I am then he tells me to go in the house) and the yard turns out nice ad clean and I feel good.
    Spoula

3. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    What is a butterfly box?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad that you're home! You sure did a lot of crocheting for being on vacation, but it certainly not a bad way to relax - I had a vacation like that and it was wonderful! A 5 lb. baby isn't a bad weight for 3 weeks early, and I certainly wish the mother a speedy recovery. You feel lousy enough after giving birth; having complications is no fun. And the baby clothes being a little big is certainly better than too small!

I love how you've figured out how to "do" the outside work! When I lived in Illinois I had several flower patches and they were so pretty. Since moving to CA I've killed so many plants! I've decided not to fight Mother Nature, so it's native plants now. My husband does almost all the raking, mowing, and clean up, but I have to do most of the watering. He thinks drought tolerant means you don't have to water at all, and he's wrong.

6. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie - The story behind the Butterfly Box -

In 2014, my husband brought home a strong cardboard box with a magnetic closure from a friend, and I found some wonderful fabric printed with butterflies to cover it with (see here). When I'm done covering the box, I plan to tat a black butterfly to go on top. Yes, eventually!

Post Thanks / Like
    @Nova 55. Sounds as if a Vitamin D Light Box might be beneficial for your blah mood.

I sure love that Santa Cat. That Afghan looks beautiful and also like it might be quite a bit of work. Not that you aren't up to it, of course!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know my husband does his best to try to get me outside to get my "sunshine vitamin", but the sun in SoCal is so strong I've learned to hate it. I take the supplement instead.

I love the Santa Cat too! He was just exactly the way I was feeling. And now since two of you have warned me about the afghan, maybe I should start it!

10. Likes MeToo! liked this post