Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Slight Change of Plans

As much as I love designing crochet items, I just have to give myself one long cold hard look in the mirror and be honest with myself. I love crocheting much more than I like having to write the patterns out. There, I said it. So I have decided to start using OP's patterns and crochet! This doesn't mean I won't ever design anything anymore; it just means that I'll have a "products" section in my store.

Slight Change of Plans-img_0876a-copy-jpg
    Autumn Red Cowl

First up on this new(er) venture is my version of the Rose Lace Cowl by Alyssa Titus of Undeniable Glitter (free pattern can be found here). This was perfect for me because of all the Caron Simply Soft yarn I have in my stash, and it did take a little over one skein for the cowl (one skein for the body of the cowl and the "little more" for the edging). What a perfect and economical present! The pattern is written well - I didn't have any issues following it at all - and the cowl works up in no time. My only disagreement with her description is that I think this cowl could be very warm and just fine for winter, as well as spring and fall. IMO!

Slight Change of Plans-img_0890abc-jpg

I did run into one problem, though. My little picot points on the edging all swerved to one side, and I wanted them to point straight. Silly me thought that this would straighten itself out in the blocking, but it didn't. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not blaming the designer. It's very possible that the way I crocheted the points made them swerve - I don't know. Anyway, I took some thread and sewed the top loop of the picots down on the opposite side of the swerve, and this straightened them out. It was a pain, though. So if I ever make this cowl again, I'm going to find way to crochet those points straight or consider the swerved points part of the design!

Till next time, happy crocheting!

2. Thanks Barbara G. thanked for this post
    Likes spoula, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55, I like your Cowl the color is very pretty and I don't see anything wrong with the Picots. Nice job. It does look nice and warm.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! I had blocked the lace edging and did my best to straighten the picots - I even put some starch on them. I made sure they looked ok in the photos, but after I fiddled with them for the pics they reverted to swerving again. That's when I decided I had to do the sewing. Trust me, there was a real curve to those points! With the sewing the points are a little shorter, but I don't think anyone would mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    Thank you! I had blocked the lace edging and did my best to straighten the picots - I even put some starch on them. I made sure they looked ok in the photos, but after I fiddled with them for the pics they reverted to swerving again. That's when I decided I had to do the sewing. Trust me, there was a real curve to those points! With the sewing the points are a little shorter, but I don't think anyone would mind.
    Hi Nova55, I agree with you that nobody would mind because nobody would have noticed those curves in the picots unless they knew how to crochet. Then it would not matter as the cowl is so pretty and they didn't have to make it that is even better.

We are our own worst critics.
    Spoula

6. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if no one would have noticed the curve - those picots looked like the bottom of a "j"! The only good thing was that they were all curved in the same direction, so maybe it could be passed off as the design. But you're certainly right - we are our own worst critics!

Post Thanks / Like
    How Beautiful, Never did cowl. This would be nice for Mn weather in Winter. Design you will allways do just when your in that mood. We love all your patterns and can understand.

9. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post