Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: It's all askew

Post Thanks / Like

It's all askew

My little guy didn't notice, but the fact that I CANNOT straighten this afghan makes me crazy. I remember a satchel my sister once made for me (granny square worked in the round) being likewise "twisted." What did I do wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images It's all askew-img_20131127_151219-jpg It's all askew-img_20131119_154456_403-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, I think it looks great, and I don't think you did anything wrong at all. I think when you crochet "in the round" or in the case of a granny pattern "in the square", that it just tends to move that way on its own. If it really bothered you, I guess you could dampen it and block it. But it might go back the same way when you washed it.

Remember, the beauty of hand made is that it doesn't look "perfect" like it was made on a machine.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

3. Likes amanda, belovedfeather liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not see anything wrong with it. You might try blocking it. It is a lovely job of crochet work!
    Crochet Chickadee

5. Likes belovedfeather liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I did TRY blocking it, but I don't know if I was doing it right. My third grade teacher told my mom I was a perfectionist. That was 29 years ago! I took a yarn spinning class last spring and when I complained about how my yarn looked, the instructor said, like you, that was the beauty of it and if I wanted "perfect" yarn, I could buy any of the shelf.

7. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by belovedfeather View Post
    Thanks. I did TRY blocking it, but I don't know if I was doing it right. My third grade teacher told my mom I was a perfectionist. That was 29 years ago! I took a yarn spinning class last spring and when I complained about how my yarn looked, the instructor said, like you, that was the beauty of it and if I wanted "perfect" yarn, I could buy any of the shelf.
    I get it! I have tendencies that way myself, but life, being married 48 years, and raising 5 children have tamed them!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

9. Likes amanda, belovedfeather liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    the fact that I CANNOT straighten this afghan makes me crazy... What did I do wrong?
    It's alive, BelovedFeather! The more fancy term for that is "dynamic." I can relate to your frustration, though, bec. when I knit, whether it's back and forth or mitered units, they're ALWAYS lopsided, dadgum it! And my beloved butterflies always come out slightly asymmetrical as well. But I've been comforted by seeing the same thing at various sites with other gals' work, so it must just be our humanness: machines make things that're monotonously uniform, we make things that are full of personality! {thumbs up}

11. Likes belovedfeather liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's perfect! That's the beauty of handmade items, they all have a little bit of personality all their own ��

Post Thanks / Like
    I get it! I hate when I don't think it looks like the picture. I wonder if you added a stitch more to that side as you came around. One stitch added can snowball into another and another or my other bug a boo is tension. You might be crocheting tighter on that side. These are all guesses and I'm with everyone else in the fact that it looks okay but I feel your pain.

14. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My little guy didn't notice, but the fact that I CANNOT straighten this afghan makes me crazy. I remember a satchel my sister once made for me (granny square worked in the round) being likewise "twisted." What did I do wrong?
    I agree with the others. It looks so pretty and if you sew it together to make an afghan it will probably straighten out some. That's my guess and it is very pretty! Is it a new stitch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't change a thing with it! Even though you know, or it doesn't look right to you that little boy is so very happy with it! Maybe the next one, if it does the same then try to figure it out! HOMEMADE FROM YOUR HEART WITH GLORIOUS HANDS! LOVE YOUR FRIEND MANDA!