Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Jim's black eye

Post Thanks / Like

Jim's black eye

This morning about 6:00 AM my 2 son's went for a bike ride. They are getting in practice for the RAINRIDE (Rain Across INdiana) See the capital letters in the brackets? R A IN ? That is a ride across INDIANA from the Illinois border to the Ohio border in one day... not a race just a ride with about over 1200 or 1300 or more bicycle riders from all over the states. (160 + miles). BUT... during that ride this morning a car passed coming toward them and the riders were drinking and sitting on the window frames holding onto the top of the car and threw something at them. Jim got hit in the face and has a black eye as big as a golf ball. The other eye is hurt too. The black eye will probably be swollen shut by morning. They called the sheriff and were supposed to look for the driver and the other 3 guys. We will wait and see. I hope they find them and Jim gets to sue the pants off them!!!! I have a picture of Jim's black eye. As for the RAINRIDE , he will be riding this week-end with a black eye!. Check out the website for the RAINRIDE at: bloomingtonbicycleclub.org He is on the Bloomington Bicycle Clubs news paper. He was on it last year and is on it again this year on the lower left corner of the picture in the red outfit at the front of another rider. They must have liked the way he looks riding that bicycle!!! I sure do,Attachment 5282 but then I am his mother!!
    Last edited by redhead; 07-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.

2. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    RedHead you are so young--at heart as Jim is a Hunk!! even with his HORRIBLE Black eye. Is it OK no Medical problem........??
    I will check up on his ride this is a wonderful Fun Ride and then this, Hopefully Police will catch them they could kill some one. How about your other son did he get hurt?? He's tough - has to be to do this long ride. WOW Ill be watching off and on. FOR FUN right?
    Good Luck Jim and your Brother...ALL RIDERS too. MOM you must have allmost pass out or screamed?? Hes TOUGH! Susan MJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God it is only a black eye and not worse. Something being thrown at you while riding a bike is enough to make you crash and cause a major injury. Were there any other vehicles around that may have witnessed this and possibly gotten any info? -janine

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks girls. When they got home this morning Jim came into my bedroom and I was still pretty much asleep and he called my name. It jerked me awake instantly and I looked at him. He said look what happened. I yelled "Oh my God!!!" What
    happened ?!!!! Then he told me and I almost cried. I am so afraid something is going to happened worse than that even. He had a close call just a few weeks ago when a pickup truck came close to him. He said he didn't know if the guy saw him or not but I think he did. He had a time keeping up-right on the bike. He felt the suction feeling from the truck and didn't realize how close the truck came to him. Then he felt his knuckle begin to sting! That truck came close enough to rip his glove and barely nick the knuckle. If he had had his elbows out he would have been killed for sure. The handle bars are the widest part of the bike. He didn't get the license number for trying to stay on the bike. The driver never slowed down or stopped. This time all he got was the color of the car and John didn't get hurt. He just heard the pop sound when whatever was thrown hit Jim. He didn't know Jim was hit for a moment. Both incidents happened in different places so probably wasn't the same people.
    John also had a close call in Arkansas a few weeks ago while running. A car came from the other lane and passed him just missing him, went and over a driveway, across a ditch and back on the highway and kept going without slowing down, never stopping for him either. I told them they need to take time to pray every time before they go out to run or ride the bikes and ask the Lord to keep them safe.
    Last edited by redhead; 07-08-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anne how horrible to find out at all but when your not fully awake. Take a cup of Tea before Bed and hope our Prayers HELP YOU SLEEP. JIM you have to stop scaring your MOM !!! Susan M J

Post Thanks / Like
    ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccchhhhh hhhhhhhhh!
    Crochet Chickadee

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God Jim's eye seems to be ok. He said the eye-lid was swollen a little more when he woke up but isn't really any worse now. I think he will be alright he isn't complaining about the other eye now either. Thank God!!!!!Patty/redhead

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for you son's injury...keep us posted on his ride......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    sorry for you son's injury...keep us posted on his ride......
    The boys got home late Saturday night and they had a rough ride facing about an 18 mpr head wind from out of the east all day. Today their leg muscles are kinda sore. Out of all the riding all year in preparation for this ride it was the hardest ride of all. They actually rode about 10 miles from my house to the starting point. Add that to the actual miles of the scheduled ride and they rode something like about 170 some miles altogether. I would never been able to ride to the starting point!!!!! Actually I wouldn't have made out of my driveway on the kind of bikes
    they ride!. !PS...Jim's black eye is not so black now...he is going to be OK.
    Last edited by redhead; 07-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patty, I am sorry about your son's eye. My hubby bikes,too, a lot. 50-60 miles, 2-3 times a week. He is training for the 200 mile MS ride in late Sept. They leave St Augustine on Saturday morning for Daytona, spend the night, then return to St Augustine on Sunday. They pay an entry fee, hotel food, their personal donation. Then they are expected to raise $200, or $1 per mile.
    People are rude. Throw bottles at them, blow horns, yell ugly words. The people he rides with are not on a leisure ride. They average 26-29 mph! They are moving! There have been so many bicyclists & pedestrians killed lately, mostly hit & run accidents. It's scary. The roads belong to all. No one has the right to hurt another. I heard about those young people hit in Arkansas about a week ago & I got sick. The driver hasn't been charged yet! One girl died, others are hurt. They had believed the driver was under the influence. I don't know what they are waiting for.