Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Bernat Pops Baby Cocoon

I have just finished another baby cocoon. I use a standard beanie pattern starting from the bottom with a majic circle and put 12 double crochets into it. I do 2 dc per stitch on the second row ( 24 sts) , and the third row is 2 dc's every other stitch (36), fourth row is 2dc, dc, dc, and repeat(48 sts), fifth row and usually my last row I do 2 dc, dc, dc, dc, and repeat for (60sts). If you use #4 or #5 yarn that is perfect. I use a J or K hook, depending which one gives the texture I want.
    I dc until the total bag is 16 inches or so, all worked from the front, then I do a contrast yarn sometimes, and turn my work (so it folds over nicely) and do 5 or 6 rows of single, half double, or double crochet, OR pick up stitches and knit a ribbing like I did here of Knit 1 Purl 1 ribbing. ( I didn't turn for the ribbing on this picture, I liked the looks of it done on the right side) then bind off.Attachment 16584
    Last edited by GramaKate; 02-21-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add picture

2. Likes NannaD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do the top border, I work in the back loop only so the border falls over on the bag nicely. You don't have to reverse the bag, if you don't want to, it looks great with a straight top, too. My daughter helped a new mother put her baby into a cocoon and she said you have to dangle them above and someone hold the bag and slip baby inside. My sister said if you put the bag on the baby like you were putting a sock on by gathering it and work it up the baby, that would work better. Oh well, they got the baby into the cocoon and for a 6 pound baby, this 18'' bag was big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for sharing. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this your own idea? It's genius! I have a few pregnant friends that I had planned on making blankets for, but now I think I'll be making this!!! Thank you for the inspiration and sharing it with us.

Can you tell me how many inches across it is? I want try it both from the crown down and the brim up. For the brim up, I need to calculate the circumstance. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is good work
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wjewell_iii View Post
    Is this your own idea? It's genius! I have a few pregnant friends that I had planned on making blankets for, but now I think I'll be making this!!! Thank you for the inspiration and sharing it with us.

Can you tell me how many inches across it is? I want try it both from the crown down and the brim up. For the brim up, I need to calculate the circumstance. Thank you!
    I make the cocoon so that it is about 8-9" folded or 16 to 18" You can make it wider if you'd like and I make the total cocoon about 16-18" long. We have found that for newborns, 15 inch length is good. They curl up their legs anyway and if it only comes to their armpits when their legs are straight down, they are covered for sleeping!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many different cocoons and sacks online I just pick and choose what works for the babies I deal with, and enjoy some experimenting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Grama. Can't wait to turn a few of these out!!!

11. Thanks GramaKate thanked for this post