Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful afghan!
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Another gorgeous afghan, DorisAnn! Gosh, you do beautiful work. I'm wondering if you block your afghans?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doris,
    I'm like you. I keep all my pieces of yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelley, Thanks for the compliment. Nope I do not block my afghans. For afghans I use acrylic yarn, mostly Red Heart Super Saver (which could probably survive a nuclear war) and Caron Simply Soft. Red Heart gets softer every time it is washed and is perfect for afghans that get a lot of wear and tear. I also use a lot of Bernet Baby Coordinates for my baby afghans and you could not block that stuff to save your life. But I like baby afghans squishy anyway.

I have always used a larger hook because I crochet with a very firm, even tension and if I did not I would not be able to achieve the correct gauge where necessary. MY afghans seem to hold their shape well and I find most acrylic yarns are more or less self blocking. WOOL is a whole different matter. Wool must be blocked or felted but I do not work with wool.

I am old now. I want my life to be drip dry or wash and wear,
    Moms with kids need wash and wear, Working women need wash and wear....Elderly need wash and wear

I don't care if it is not expensive yarn, if the colors are not my first choice or if a beginner created it.....
    if it is practical I find it beautiful and if it is made with love I find it amazing.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

5. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info, DorisAnn.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    I really love this granny square afghan. Very pretty.
    ---HarriEtta

8. Likes imalefty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crochetdiva, When I decided to learn to crochet I bought a book and I was so happy with my first granny square and so horrified when I realize I needed about 80 more of them to make anything from them. That's a long story I won't tell here. Love/Hate granny squares but I know I have made thousands of them over the last 58 years.

This afghan is so simple to make. I put a link to the pattern page in the post with the other photo on this string or you can go to the link for my blog at the bottom of my post. I have several afghans on the "35 Squares" page. One is a box stitch square, one is a regular granny and this one is a combo of both.

For the 35 squares if you make 1 square each weekday and 2 squares on Saturday and Sunday you will have enough for the afghan in less than 30 days with almost no effort. The continuous join and border finish it quickly and in just a few minutes a day you can have a lovely afghan to keep, donate or gift.

The Coco Granny Afghan I posted here has 48 squares and it is a bit larger than the 35 squares. You can gather up your extra basic granny blocks, or make new ones. Choose a basic color to join them, do one or two rows of that basic color (depending on your style of granny block ) then run the continuous join and border. The squares come out about 7 X 7 inches that way. So very easy and surprisingly fast.What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-box-stitch-granny-jpg

10. Likes crochetdiva liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    Thanks Crochetdiva, When I decided to learn to crochet I bought a book and I was so happy with my first granny square and so horrified when I realize I needed about 80 more of them to make anything from them. That's a long story I won't tell here. Love/Hate granny squares but I know I have made thousands of them over the last 58 years.

This afghan is so simple to make. I put a link to the pattern page in the post with the other photo on this string or you can go to the link for my blog at the bottom of my post. I have several afghans on the "35 Squares" page. One is a box stitch square, one is a regular granny and this one is a combo of both.

For the 35 squares if you make 1 square each weekday and 2 squares on Saturday and Sunday you will have enough for the afghan in less than 30 days with almost no effort. The continuous join and border finish it quickly and in just a few minutes a day you can have a lovely afghan to keep, donate or gift.

The Coco Granny Afghan I posted here has 48 squares and it is a bit larger than the 35 squares. You can gather up your extra basic granny blocks, or make new ones. Choose a basic color to join them, do one or two rows of that basic color (depending on your style of granny block ) then run the continuous join and border. The squares come out about 7 X 7 inches that way. So very easy and surprisingly fast.What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-box-stitch-granny-jpg
    Such a beautiful piece! You've really got the calculations for the squares figured out so good, that's helpful info! I save all scraps. even snips to stuff things with, longer pieces or to make flowers and such, I just never throw away any yarn!

12. Likes crochetdiva liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doris Ann, I love your afghans. They are all so bright and colorful and very well done. I've made quite a few afghans from granny squares or motifs to use up yarn scraps. Several of them were done with black as the connecting color and I can't say I will ever do another with black since my eyes are getting old and "gray"!!
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sapphire43, Thanks for the compliment. I love afghans joined in black. nothing like that stained glass look, but black is hard to see and sometimes it can be so overpowering. I am bad about starting a riot with color.....gotta catch the glow and go NEON bright. I rarely use a black joining now. I use a lot of green. Green is my favorite color and I figure God likes green. To me green goes with anything. I use white and I am crazy about Red Hearts Warm Brown and Red Hearts Honeydew green those are the colors I use the most for joining now. As for the blocks it all depends on what is running wild in the Stash.