Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-img_20141211_174953037-jpg. I hope this works.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

2. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sapphire,
    That's Beautiful!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Jean Marie. I enjoyed making it and gave it to a friend as a thank you.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I never throw out any scrap of yarn, the tiniest pieces are collected in baggies.
    Some are used for stuffing, some go out for the birds to build their nests in the spring.

Any yarn long enough for granny squares goes into an old picnic basket. I keep a dedicated I-9 hook in the basket and when the mood strikes me I crochet granny squares. When I have enough accumulated I use a full skein of yarn to join and turn them into granny square projects, afghans, shawls, etc, but mostly afghans. I get about 6 "unexpected" afghans a year that way.

Any yarn ends too small for granny squares but longer than 10 inches get tied together and wound into a ball of "found yarn"
    I use this found yarn to crochet Chi Ba Ba for my local Vet's office who work with the animal shelter.
    Chi Ba Ba's are merely C2C blankets made in the size of pet cages or crate to aid the animals they treat.
    What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-coco-granny-jpg
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

6. Likes sapphire43, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi DorisAnn,
    Very Nice!!! Around each square you crocheted a tan or brown and then the 2nd row/rnd, what looks like x's, is that where you joined the squares? It's different. It gives it a design. The border on the far outside looks like scallops?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your colorful shawl is beautiful!!!

Here's another idea for using up all those yarn balls. Make a yarn ball wreath.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...balls%20wreath

Shelley

9. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, This afghan is so simple only 48 squares. Rounds 1 through 4 are a basic granny square. The border color is Red Heart Super Saver Warm Brown used on rounds 5, 6 and the joining/border round. Round 5: sc in any sp between clusters, chain 3, single crochet in next space, repeat to corner, in corners work sc, ch 3, sc. Round 6, 3 dc in each 3 chain space around working 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc in each corner. On this afghan I used the 5 chain continuous join, my favorite, but the 3 chain is good also. I find Granny afghans heavy so like like a more open lacy join.

This project is shown on my blog at the bottom of the same page my 35 squares afghan which is a pattern for a different square. Patterns are free here Ideal Delusions: 35 SQUARES

This page also has links for the 2 part continuous join method of joining video on YouTube. You only have two yarn ends for the whole joining and I can join a whole afghan of this size in one evening. There is also another link for a photo tutorial of the continuous join that is off site and not mine.

If you have never tried the continuous join for connecting granny squares you have no idea what you are missing. I have practiced the Art of Crochet since 1957 and never tried the continuous join as I thought it would be too confusing. After I tried it I found out I was so wrong. I also found out I had first used the continuous join over 30 years ago when I made a lace tablecloth. Now I think of all the years I had a love/hate relationship with granny squares....loved making them, hated joining them and I could almost hate myself for being so dense.

The nature of the continuous join creates a SC chain border all around the afghan and I extended the border itself with rows of a simple "V" stitch the last round of the border was "V" stitch with a picot. If you have more questions there is an email contact me app on the page

What do you do with your leftover yarn balls?-462-jpg
    Last edited by DorisAnn; 07-11-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

11. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very pretty shawl

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, DorisAnn! I am going to follow your leads and not throw any piece of yarn away but give it a useful home.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Loving your granny square
    ---HarriEtta