Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 9 First ... 34567 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Red face It can be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    I finished up my very first corner to corner afghan and I'm so disappointed. Half of it came out way too small. It was the second half I did, when I started decreasing. The pattern was confusing to me so I watched a YouTube video on how to decrease. I thought I understood it, but obviously I didn't.

It's fairly large. In the photo it's on top of a full size bed.

Guess I'll give it to the dogs to sleep on.

Shelley
    Shelley, if you very carefully block the afghan--lots of tutorials on how to do it, and it's very easy--you can bring that pretty blanket out to its right size. It doesn't look as if you did anything wrong; I've made the Diagonal Box Stitch at least fifty times in the last 42 years, and it's one of the easiest ones to do, but sometimes it can look "wrong" at the far end.

Still, that's too pretty to give to your dogs, so try the blocking--I've always used this method: lay down towels on a large surface, such as a dining room table--good, thick layer of towels, and you'll know why in just a moment--then spread the blanket onto them, and very carefully getting it out to its desired shape, pin it with straight pins through all the layers of towel. Now, if you have an iron with a steam setting, fill it, and then holding it JUST above the surface of the blanket, slowly go over the entire thing while shooting steam into the yarn. Do NOT ever let the iron rest on the yarn, or you'll have a melted mess, believe me! You will most likely have to load your iron's water port a couple of times, and that's expected. Once done with that, leave the blanket right there, letting it dry 100% (usually about 30 to 40 hours, depending on whether you much heat in the room you're blocking it in).

Once it's been blocked to the right shape, you'll need to ALWAYS dry it in a dryer--never hang it on a clothesline or over a towel bar!--so that it will bounce back to that same shape.

I do hope this helps; when I was first crocheting, I had many items that came out "wonky," but with proper blocking, most of them were just fine after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!
    One time, I had the same thing. I found after few time of search.....

In the first part, I used a hook of 5.5 mm and the second half, I used a 5.0mm.....I lost my hook 5.5 and after few days, when I found the hook 5.0, I thought it was the good hook.

It's possible it was an error of hook you too.

Have a nice day
    Marolie

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't fret over it, we have all made errors at one time or another. I did this with a ripple afghan many years ago, only problem where yours got smaller, mine got bigger!! it ended up looking like a huge triangle with ripples!

Put it away for now and try again later, that is what i did and it finally worked out..

sending hugs,
    Carol (gramzie)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Pixiglitter/Shelly! I've had sooooooo many pattern blunders, but I keep trying until I get it right! What pattern did you use? Why don't you try crocheting along with Mikey as he does the corner to corner pattern? That's what I did because I didn't understand the pattern enough. I've been crocheting for over 40 years and it happens to the best of us!!!! Please don't get discouraged because it didn't turn out perfect. Why not frog the entire thing and start fresh using Mikey's video? It just might work out and then you'll be happy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your friend, Betty Lynn
    Last edited by Beatrice1953; 02-06-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure you did anything wrong with this pattern

Hi
    I just wanted to let you know the diagonal stitch is a favorite pattern. I have done about 12 afghans this pattern in various colors , ranging from stripes to solid variegated. I have done sized from lap robe to king size. I have even done 3 shawls and a scarf in this stitch. So I had to comment on this. Off the top of looking I don't think you did any thing wrong. A few hints for this pattern:
    - Count your rows
    - you will either have all 4 sides the same for a square or
    - Top & Bottom will be same and then the right & left will be same for a rectangle
    - Pattern is on diagonal it will and frequently does look lop sided regardless of yarn, number of rows or gauge
    - the only counter I have ever seen kinda work is doing a row of single crochet around edge (high tension around area's that seem to stretch) , followed by reverse single crochet - even that does not always work
    - Some times this pattern can benefit from blocking, however honestly I except the pattern's limitation and live with it
    - Stripes in the past have driven me nuts because unless the middle row is 3 (2) increasing rows, then start decreasing giving you 2 (1) decreased rows so it looks balanced
    Those are the major things I can think of. Nice colors

Laura

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly, I made an afghan like this many years ago. I froged it and started over and it came out the same way. So it went in the trash and I never tried it again. Your colors are so pretty can you make a ripple for the friend in the same colors? Mikey has a pattern that uses blocks in solid colors that would be pretty in those colors for a baby. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't ever be embarrassed by how your project turns out. I have several ripple afghans that ended up like that, I frogged them just to save the yarn for something different. I never did figure out what I was doing wrong, one lady, more experienced than I am, suggested that maybe I was adding stitches when I started a row that were not part of the increase. I don't know. I love the afghan, would be very proud to have it given to me. When it isn't on the bed, and some one is wrapped up in it, it won't be so noticeable. Have you tried blocking it and just stretching a bit to make it look more even? At any rate, you did great work, the colors are lovely and you learned from it so it is actually mostly positive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Debbie, don't be too embarrassed because I can't count how many times that has happened to me!!!!! But my dog Peanut just loves them. LOL Yes the colours are very pretty - could you not take it apart and try again??? That's an aweful big and expensive dog blanket. Personally, I would take it apart and start over now you know what you did wrong. JMO
    Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

CBelt1 Disappointed too

Disappointed. I know what you mean. I just finished a crocheted vest. I had seen a top in Stein Mart, taken pictures of it, studied them and embarked on the top--in October, I had it almost finished when I realized parts of it did not work, so I tore it ALL out, rethought the pattern, and tried again. When I finished it in January, I was much happier this time so I finished the vest, blocked it, waited a week for it to dry. And hung it in the closet. In four days it STRETCHED from a mid hip vest to a mid thigh tunic. Not the look I wanted. What should I do. Obviously it is no longer hanging, but rolled in a drawer. If I reblock it will it stretch out of shape every time I wear it? The pattern is fans with arches beneath, lots of chains to enable it to stretch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CBelt1 View Post
    Disappointed. I know what you mean. I just finished a crocheted vest. I had seen a top in Stein Mart, taken pictures of it, studied them and embarked on the top--in October, I had it almost finished when I realized parts of it did not work, so I tore it ALL out, rethought the pattern, and tried again. When I finished it in January, I was much happier this time so I finished the vest, blocked it, waited a week for it to dry. And hung it in the closet. In four days it STRETCHED from a mid hip vest to a mid thigh tunic. Not the look I wanted. What should I do. Obviously it is no longer hanging, but rolled in a drawer. If I reblock it will it stretch out of shape every time I wear it? The pattern is fans with arches beneath, lots of chains to enable it to stretch.
    That is SO discouraging! I know how you feel. What kind of yarn did you use to make your vest? Is it a heavier yarn where the weight will pull itself down? I would re-block it and fold it up, not put it on a hanger. It won't hurt to re-block it and it just might not stretch out again.

Someone else here might have a better idea...

Shelley