Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    A well placed embelishment is a nice way to camouflage...... My trick sometimes too
    Ahhhhhh aqua therapy! Life is just wonderful bubbles the rest is surface intervals. Tami

2. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with u and Andy, I hate that chain 3. drawing up a big loop to just do a dc works really well. Lily Chin also does a stitch to mimic a dc at New row. I.ll see if I can find a video of it, as its a little hard to explain. You kind of make a big loop, use hook to wrap yarn around it backwards.... I'll have to do it to get it right so I can explain it. Maybe someone else knows this one.
    z I'm doing a vest/wrap with an S Hook right now. and the hook is so big I figured I.d just do the ch 3. I really wish I'd experimented first, but all the spaces are so big anyway, it's not too bad. Then it is worn with a big belt and a big folded over collar, so I don't think it will be too noticeable.

4. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    the chain/s at the beginning or ending of a row is for the height of the stitches and to keep the edge straight(gotta make sure you count the stitches so you don't miss one) as far as I know but then I saw on u tube that someone chained 2 for a double crochet and found out that there were other people on crochet talk that chained 2 for dc. I tried the chain 2 for dc and it makes a neater edge but is it right to do when the books say chain 3 for a dc?

6. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kim Guzman, award winning designer in crochet and knit, says "patterns are just a guideline".

8. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the info, I really need a review of the basics before I get started on my afghan!

10. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie----yes, it is okay/it is your height determination

12. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You might check out mooglyblog.com - she has great video tutorials on basic and advanced stitches including chainless starting, foundation crochet, switching colors, etc. - she also has some free patterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgemjanet View Post
    Just learning to crochet and the chaining at the beginning of a round is the thing I find the most confusing. Some of the tutorials I have seen on you tube say count as a stitch and some say don't count it which is a bit confusing as a newbie. I have been struggling at times and losing and gaining stitches. Today I discovered If I don't count it as a stitch and go into the same space and then start counting I keep the right amount of stitches

Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya pinkgemjanet.. By George, I think you got it.. Just do as they say.. Sometimes it counts and sometimes it doesn't.. BTW
    Welcome to the site.. I'm sure you will love it as much as I do.. You will find the members are great and so helpful... Enjoy.. Teresa

15. Likes amanda, blueeyes68 liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya andyj and joannerrose, Welcome to the site.. I'm sure you will love it as much as I do.. You will find the members are great and so helpful... Enjoy.. Teresa

17. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read How to Break the Crochet Rules and Get Away With It? You say no? That's because I haven't written it yet. Some rules cannot be broken. However, the ch 2 at the beginning of a row is a rule that can be broken. If the beginning of the row is going to end up in a seam I go ahead and ch 2. Otherwise, I ch 1 and dc in the same space. When I make hats I do the ch 1/dc thing and it results in a seamless hat.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

19. Likes amanda, billieconrad, cybarra, Poinciana liked this post