Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone Doing Craft Fairs?

I missed the boat this year, only feeling confident enough to sell in the last month or so. But I'm really intrigued to try my hand at a craft fair or two next year.

Is there a board or group for this here? Would love to hear all of your insights!

2. Likes seashells_Shelly, Glenda Walbert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I do craft fairs fairly often because I make handcrafted wire jewelry. Mostly earrings and bracelet. But I have started putting the sashay ruffled scarves out too. I haven't sold one yet but I've been told I have a better price on mine and that was so maybe I'd sell some. LOL, so far that hasn't worked. But, from what I have seen baby items seem to sell fairly well. Just a thought for you! Hugs, Dinah
    Dinah

4. Likes seashells_Shelly, Graciegirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done one craft show on Nov 16 and have another one Nov 30. The ruffled scarves are my best seller but I have a low price on them but I think it's a fair price. I have been told that my scarves are very well done and much nicer than others that shoppers have seen at craft shows. I also get a lot of interest in The Original Knit n Spin. I have sold a few and I am hopeful that the word will get around and I'll be selling them much faster as they catch on to a wider market. I used to do craft shows years ago selling beaded jewelry. I made lots of necklaces, bracelets and earrings but when my neck got too bad, I wasn't able to do any crafts at all. I hit the market right when everything crashed and people weren't buying but were just looking at the shows. I have lots of jewelry, no two pieces alike, packed away. Now I am enjoying crocheting and knitting and that is what I take to craft shows. I enjoy it and Nov 16 was my best craft show to date. I'm hoping the one on Nov 30 will be even better. I have been busy making more ruffled scarves to fill my depleted inventory. I agree that baby items always seem to do very well at craft shows. I do know that people around here (Lancaster Co., PA) really inspect your work before they'll buy anything. HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

6. Likes DinahRoberts, Graciegirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done them and had terrible luck. I find most people at craft fairs come to look and get ideas for their own crafting. Very few people seem willing to pay a fair price considering the materials and time I put in. It may just be that way in my area but it seems to me people have better luck on sites like eBay and Etsy than at fairs.

8. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's true, I have people looking and picking apart my work and talking to their companions about how they could do it etc.. That is very rude in my opinion to do that in front of the artist that has had to pay for the booth rental.
    Dinah

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have gone to one craft exhibit where I had to pay to get in. You ladies are so right about people just looking and being rude. I didn't have a stand there and I was so glad. Very few people were buy anything but that didn't stop them from picking apart everyone's work. There were some very nice items that I knew had to have taken many hours of detail work only to have rude people blocking their space and complaining about prices and shoddy work. I finally commented to a small group of these women that "it would be the polite thing to keep moving along if you have no intention of buying anything because some of us would like to look at what is available". They were rude to me but I just looked at them and as soon as they moved I commented to the craftsperson how lovely her work was. The rude group started following me around, pushing me out of the way when I would stop to look at something. I am usually a very patient person but my hubby knew I was about to make quite a scene so he gently guided me from the show. However, I did make a few purchases. When I was taking my jewelry, I got a lot of comments from people how they could do so much better. I started keeping a box of beads and accessories then would ask the naysayers if they would like to make their own jewelry I had all the supplies they would need and I would be happy to total their items before they could make their jewelry. I only had to do that 2 or 3 times and never had a person comment on how they could do so much better for a lot less money. It sure took me all the guts I had to do that the first time but I was so sweet and polite about it nothing was said. One time the "ladies" came back later and bought some jewelry as Christmas gifts. Of course I acted as though I didn't remember them and wrapped their purchases very nicely as I do for everyone. No one know how hard you've worked except yourself so if they go to craft shows, don't expect yard sale prices for crafts made with love. OK, I'm through venting for the day, whew. HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

12. Likes buggainok, Nova55, DinahRoberts, mflyman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never done a craft show but I've been thinking about it. My best selling item is baby/toddler themed earflap hats...I question if they are still going to be as popular next year(?) I would make my stock in summer and hit the late fall craft shows next year. I have a friend that knits the same type of hats, she suggested we go together next year and share the cost of a booth. I'm still unsure though

14. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's what Im thinking of doing as well. I have a friend who sews, so we're thinking of doing a table together. I think those hats will still be popular next year. Its all about staying warm after all! Im going to do a variety of things, and sort of just see how it goes.

16. Likes Ms.B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can split the cost of a booth with someone and have a friend to pass the time with, it can be an enjoyable experience even if you don't make a ton of money. Hats are always a necessary item in colder climates so you might do well. My suggestion would be to have a back up plan in case they don't sell. You are putting in a lot time, effort and money and you don't want to have a ton of hats on your hands and no way to get rid of them if it doesn't work out like you hope.

18. Likes Ms.B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm part of a local crafting FB site that allows people to sell items free of charge and most of my friends have kids so I don't think I would have a problem selling my items, if they don't sell at a show. I also take part in a few chinese auctions where the profits go to a good cause. I put cards with the items and I get business from that as well.