Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

To increase the size of a hat

To increase the size of a hat: I measure the size of the head using a measuring tape at the forehead & back of head above the ears to find the circumference of the head. example: Your head is 12.5 in circumference. Divide this by pi 3.14 this is approx 3.98 and round this to 4. You have to stop expanding your rounds when you have reached a diameter of 4 inches.

I start with a magic circle and do 8 dc into the 2nd ch from hook. Join with slip stitch to beginning of round. you can use a pattern that you are familiar with or increase as follows:
    2 dc into each dc (16)
    increase in every alternate stitch example: 2dc in the next stitch, 1dc, 2dc next stitch, 1 dc repeat around slip stitch to join each round and chain 2 turn (24 st)
    2dc in next stitch, 1 dc, 1dc, repeat, sl st to join, ch 2 (32)
    2dc in next stitch, 1 dc , 1dc, 1dc, repeat around, sl st to join, ch 2 (40)
    Keep increasing in this manner until you have reached the required size.
    After you have reached the appropriate inches in diameter (in this case 4), stop increasing and work in evens.
    1 dc into each dc, repeat and sl st to join, ch 2 repeat until you have the desired length sl st to join and finish off

So far this has worked for me.

2. Likes momma3girls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting this! I am sure it will be helpful to members working on crochet hats!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are most welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do something similar when working with WW yarn. I make 12 dc in a magic circle. Next row, I do 2 dc in each st = 24 st. Row 3 do 2 dc in 1st st. 1 dc in each of the next 2 st.= 36 st. Row 4, do 2 dc in 1st stitch, 1 dc in each of the next 3 st - 48 st. (stop here if making a child/youth hat). Row 5 2 dc in 1st st, 1 dc in each of the next 4 st = 6- st.. This is usually sufficient for the averageize hat. Then continue in dc until the desired length. You can do a reverse sc on the last trow for a nice effect.