Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hi Everyone..Have a question about using Homespun Yarn

Hi To All,

Unfortunately I haven't been involved with this site for a long time and I apologize, but have been busy crocheting and volunteering at my church or not doing well physically. (Mom told me not to get old and of course I disobeyed!! )

Anyway, my question is about using "Homespun Yarn". I love so much about it, but am having a great deal of trouble finding the stitches when I crochet. Does anyone else have this problem and what have they done to solve it? I have tried a bigger needle, which helps a little, but I don't know what to do now and I hate giving up!!! (I'm trying to make a prayer shawl.)

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Dottie in Maryville, TN

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dottie,

I hope someone has some tips for you about using Homespun yarn - because I sure don't.

Like you, I think the yarn looks lovely, feels soft, and comes in such beautiful colors. I have only made one item with it, an afghan using 2 strands and a large hook. I had a terrible time finding where to put my hook, even though the stitches were really big because of the big hook. It turned out to look okay, if you weren't looking too close, lol. I know I probably missed lots of stitches.

I found it too nervewracking to work with, and haven't used it since.

PS I have pretty good eyesight for my age and don't wear prescription glasses, just the cheap magnifying reader ones.
    Last edited by buggainok; 11-18-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like

Homespun Yarn Question

Hi Annette,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm thinking that maybe I should use a strand of regular yarn with it in a lighter or darker shade and maybe that would help see the stitch better. It will be even bulkier, but who knows maybe it'll work. If it does I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Dottie

4. Likes buggainok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Homespun is hard to work with if you want precise stitches. I just finished a hat using Homespun and instead of hooking into the next stitch, I just went in between the stitches. It almost looks like a mesh. I was using a size N hook.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel strange to say this but I didn't have any problems with it. I made Kaye a circular vest with it and I had no problems. I can't do the fun fur by itself but with a regular yarn it is easy to use. I would think your idea of using it with a regular yarn is a good idea. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with Homespun, used a larger hook (L) and did a scarf just using dcs. And I was working with black, which made it more difficult (was given a lot of it for a charity project). Tried a hat but I think the color was the problem so I switched over to a scarf. Going between the stitches sounds good, will have to give that a try. Have done that but with regular worsted yarn, never thought to try it with Homespun and a different color to make it easier LOL.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joyce,

I'm using a very large crochet hook (no name/number) on it, but it's the largest I have....larger than even an "N" hook. That being said, I find that precision is not going to be achievable with this yarn....(not that I'm ever so good at it...but I was hoping to improve with every attempt). Oh well, the shawl can still be very precise with crocheting between the stitches....I like that idea very much and appreciate your kind suggestion. Also, as my husband reminds me...there's always fringe to help!

Have a good evening,
    Dottie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Faye,

I've started crocheting with the other yarn along with the homespun and it tends to hide any misalignment of stitches, but it is increasing the weight of the shawl as I go. I'm at the point of either going on in this way or ripping it out and start again with just all double crochets and putting the stitches in between as Joyce advised. Either way...It will be made!!!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Dottie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi LI Roe,

I always feel it's me when I have problems with crocheting/yarn....good to know that there are others out there. I think If I had to use black, I would be sitting in a pile of black fluffy yarn that had been cut to shreds!!!! I'm using Lagoon which is very pretty but goes from teal into some dark navy tones. I had just bought a new prayer shawl book that has all homespun yarn patterns in it and wanted to use the patterns in it. I thought that if they could do it, I could do it...but now it's become "not so much" a good idea.

I think I need to simplify and take all of your suggestions. Success is just a "double crochet" in the spaces away.

Thanks for your help,

Dottie

11. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Annette,

Just following up to your email about adding the additional yarn to the Homespun Yarn I was using to make a prayer shawl. The additional yarn only helped a very little. It also made the shawl very heavy. I quit working on it after a few rows. Taking it apart was also not easy, but my hubby helped.

I have started fresh with using LI Roe's suggestion...put stitches between the preceding row's stitches and I think it's going to be okay now and is working up rather quickly.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Dottie

13. Likes buggainok liked this post