Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Feeling awkward

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Feeling awkward

In the past I've crocheted with small hooks, but mostly at this time I'm accustomed to a range between G and J. So...today I decide to make a small rose using sock yarn and used a size F hook. Oy! Teeny yarn, teeny hook and I was all thumbs. I did it...just not used to dealing with my big fingers handling the small stuff.

The first row of any project is somewhat challenging as I don't have anything to hang onto
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    don't feel alone on this working with the smaller hooks takes me a few tries to get an even stitch
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hard time with thread too. I get so tense trying to work with it that I don't do it often. The first rows are terrible for me too.

4. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure know what you mean. I too use to use the crochet thread years ago, I doubt I could ever work with it now. I love the 4 ply best, not even a big fan of the thicker yarns as most patters call for the 4 ply.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't tried the smaller yarn yet since my cataract surgery. I still haven't worn my glasses since the first surgery. I was so used to pulling everything close up to my eyes and now I can hardly hold my work far enough away. I hold everything at arms length now! I can see so much better now at a distance and I am finding I can drive at night better than I had been able to before. Even in the daytime now I can read the street signs before I get right up on them. What a difference this surgery has made for me. I may try making a doily with the smaller yarn just to see how it goes for me. XOXOXOXOXO, redhead/Patty

7. Likes MeerKat, seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You are definitely not alone in this. Smaller hooks and thin yarns give me fits, particularly during the first row. Have you tried one of those magnifying glasses on a stand so you can see it better?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see just fine. It's my fingers that have a hard time.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

10. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The thread is definitely a challenge to work with. I didn't start crocheting with it until about 2005 and was making baby booties with it. I also have trouble holding onto it but I'm determined that it won't get the best of me. lol However, I find that the small hooks make my finger sore where it slides across it. I've tried putting a bandaid on the finger etc. I even have a finger cover that I crocheted and although it works best I manage to get the hook caught in it some. I know this isn't any help but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this! Hugs, Dinah
    Dinah

12. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think as we get older the smaller yarn and thread is harder for us to hold onto, I use to only crochet with thread, but now that I am a lot older I prefer the worsted weight yarn. Don't like the Bulky yarns either, the larger hooks seem awkward to hold.
    My favorite hook size is I hook.

14. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite hooks sizes are H, I and once in a while a G, depending on what I am working on. I have a friend who normally uses a J and will still have a tighter tension then I do. I stopped wrapping the yarn around my little finger to loosen up my tension years ago and now I just thread it under my two middle fingers and over my little finger and the first finger. I seem to be able to have a more even tension that way.

Judi G

16. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post