Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabric punch tool, what's that thing called?

Hey y'all,

Can someone tell me what the tool is called that you use to punch a tiny hole in fabric so you can crochet an edging? I'd like to crochet a trim edging on some things, like pillow cases.

I need to know what the punch tool is called so I can buy one.

Also, have you used one? Is it easy to use? Do you like it and does it really make a nice clean hole in the fabric?

Thank you!
    Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    This article suggests using a rotary hole punch for fabrics:

How to Punch Holes in Fabric | eHow

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one on ebay called a Prym Revolving Punch Pliers. Makes Holes in Fabrics, Leather. Adjustable 2.5-5mm.

Prym Revolving Punch Pliers Makes Holes in Fabrics Leather Adjustable 2 5 5mm | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not personally used one, but there has been discussion here on the site about using the punches. Give a little time and some others will reply. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley hi I have one its a blade (name escapes me ) can get it ?? t goes on a rotor blade handle and makes holes. i have a Sharp Needle also almost like the finest sttel crochet hook. Check at Jo-Annes or fabric stores. On line has them?? Hope you find one I will look in the mean time HUGS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Hey y'all,

Can someone tell me what the tool is called that you use to punch a tiny hole in fabric so you can crochet an edging? I'd like to crochet a trim edging on some things, like pillow cases.

I need to know what the punch tool is called so I can buy one.

Also, have you used one? Is it easy to use? Do you like it and does it really make a nice clean hole in the fabric?

Thank you!
    Shelley
    I did some research on this because I wanted to crochet around the edge of fleece and flannel blankets. There are lots of ways to make holes around the edge of your fabric. Some people line up a ruler, and punch holes with an awl, or an ice pick. I think that would get old pretty quick, lol. But some people do it.

There are some imitation blades out there for rotary cutters that say they will punch holes along the edge of your fabric. Most of them DO NOT WORK. The original blade that works well is called the Skip Stitch, and it is a little pricey, but does the job. Here is a link:

Products & Orders - Skip Stitch

I got the blade and used it in a rotary cutter that I already had. I also had a cutting mat, like quilters use, and a quilting ruler. It did punch even holes in the fabric around the edges. Actually, it doesn't really punch holes, but makes tiny slits.

I personally found it pretty tedious to do. My mat is not huge, and I kept having to move my fabric, re-align the ruler and roll the cutter to punch more holes. I did one fleece blanket with yarn, and then two flannel blankets using crochet thread for the edging.

I think it will be a while before I do it again. Although I liked the results, the whole process took quite a lot of time.

Here is a video showing the use of the skip stitch blade and crocheting edges.

Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found info and I beaten to it. very well put Thanks for helping. I do have the skip one and have no trouble so do what is best to you.

8. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly, to do edges on pillow cases or scarves and other light fabrics, I don't think you would need the rotary blade. Several months ago I ordered a couple of hooks that had very sharp points to go through the fabric easily. They punch the hole and let you crochet the edging in one motion. At the moment I cannot find them to get the name for you but I think, right after I ordered mine, someone on this list advertised them for sale. So I'm sure, if they are still active members, they will be putting the information on here again. I'll look for mine tomorrow to see if I can give you a name.
    Shirly

Post Thanks / Like
    I crochet the top of towels so they can hang on oven doors or refrigerators or on a door handle.I was using an awl and that was hard work. They do have "sharp" crochet hooks that are made to make the hole as you crochet the first row. Nancy's Notions make a disk that fit into a rotary cutter and I use my cutting mat and ruler (that I use when quilting) and put the ruler where I want the holes to be and just run the rotary cutter up once and the holes are all even and straight. They also sell discs that do wavy lines and another one too, but I don't have the catalogue right here. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirly View Post
    Shelly, to do edges on pillow cases or scarves and other light fabrics, I don't think you would need the rotary blade. Several months ago I ordered a couple of hooks that had very sharp points to go through the fabric easily. They punch the hole and let you crochet the edging in one motion. At the moment I cannot find them to get the name for you but I think, right after I ordered mine, someone on this list advertised them for sale. So I'm sure, if they are still active members, they will be putting the information on here again. I'll look for mine tomorrow to see if I can give you a name.
    Shirly
    Here is a link to the Sharp Crochet Hook page. I did buy a pack of these, and I liked them okay, but they are not as sharp as I expected. It's easier to use them with flannel, which is a looser weave, than with something like a pillowcase which is tightly woven fabric.

Sharp Crochet Hook - The easy way to crochet edgings and borders on fabric
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

12. Likes elproct liked this post