Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

crochet hat size chart

I know I have seen different hat size charts, but for the life of me I can't find a good one now that someone has asked me for one.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a thread where I posted one some time ago:

http://crochettalk.com/main/3599-crochet-hat-chart.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this something like you are looking for? How to Design Your Own Custom Crochet Hat

4. Likes Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Hat Patterns...and more!

Quote Originally Posted by billieconrad View Post
    Is this something like you are looking for? How to Design Your Own Custom Crochet Hat
    Clicking on this link led me to a charming place full of useful patterns and tutorials. Thank you!

6. Likes little drummer, Glenda Walbert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the How To Design Your Own Custom Hat site. I like to try to combine size, shape and pattern stitch from different patterns and this tutorial will make it much easier. Liked the patterns on the site as well. Thank you so much for posting the link.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that article really helpful. Thanks, Barbara.
    See what Joyce Writes on Yahoo

Post Thanks / Like
    To increase the size of a hat: I measure the size of the head using a measuring tape at the forehead & back of head above the ears to find the circumference of the head. example: Your head is 12.5 in circumference. Divide this by pi 3.14 this is approx 3.98 and round this to 4. You have to stop expanding your rounds when you have reached a diameter of 4 inches.

I start with a magic circle and do 8 dc into the 2nd ch from hook. Join with slip stitch to beginning of round. you can use a pattern that you are familiar with or increase as follows:
    2 dc into each dc (16)
    increase in every alternate stitch example: 2dc in the next stitch, 1dc, 2dc next stitch, 1 dc repeat around slip stitch to join each round and chain 2 turn (24 st)
    2dc in next stitch, 1 dc, 1dc, repeat, sl st to join, ch 2 (32)
    2dc in next stitch, 1 dc , 1dc, 1dc, repeat around, sl st to join, ch 2 (40)
    Keep increasing in this manner until you have reached the required size.
    After you have reached the appropriate inches in diameter (in this case 4), stop increasing and work in evens.
    1 dc into each dc, repeat and sl st to join, ch 2 repeat until you have the desired length sl st to join and finish off

So far this has worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I have seen a site that shows how to measure the crown (the flat circle where increases are made, before the even stitches down the sides of the hat are made) to get the size, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it. Does anyone remember that?

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally I found the hat size chart I was looking for, if you go to Youtube,BobWilson123 basic hat beanie it leads you to the link for the pattern from Cats-Rockin-Crochet fiber artist and she has the pattern. BobWilson has the tutorial. My brain was a little slow on that one for sure.

I hope this will help others, this gives the number of increase rows needed for different sized heads. And shows how to measure.

Judi G