Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  112
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last

Thread: The Stash

Post Thanks / Like

The Stash

I am having trouble with my stash. It seems to be taking over my house. Life. Thoughts.
    It has taken on a personality of it's own. I can hear the skeins of yarn talking in the night. I think they are planning a complete and total takeover.
    Have I lost my mind?
    When I went away last week I couldn't use my suitcase. Why? Because it is filled with yarn. In fact 2 suitcases are. Plus 3 large bins. Plus a dresser.
    See? A takeover.
    Mu husband is talking about building a shed to store all of it in.
    Where will it end? Two sheds, 3, or 4? A garage, then a pole barn?
    I think that to stop the madness I need to get rid of all the stash and start over.
    I would only buy yarn as a pattern called for it. And never keep any leftovers. Is this even possible?
    Do I need a 12 step program?
    What have the rest of you done to keep a stash in order?

Post Thanks / Like
    We all posted a few months ago (maybe Barbara can help you search for the thread) how we stored our stash. I forget the exact title. Clear bins, shelves, etc. all help. But what I wish I had done from the beginning, is to keep track of what I have. You can do this on Ralvery. List your yarn, type, how many skeins, color, etc. Then when you want to make something, you can see what you have. You can even take pictures of it. And I've stopped looking at sales, cause then you want to buy more.

At lease if you keep track of it, you can look at it all, and plan what to do with it. So when the urge hits to buy more, look at pics of your stash instead. Actually when you do this on ravelry, you can even list it for sale or trade. Good luck.

3. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 9 cube organizer and the 9 baskets to go in it each basket holds 9 skeins of yarn (based on the red heart super saver skein) this keeps my yarn neatly stored and easily accessible. I also have a chess of drawers that is packed full as well. I have 2 baskets that have balls of yarn that I use for small projects. Because I think organizing my yarn is an ongoing process I am about to buy 2 more of the 9 cube organizers since they are stackable I will be stacking one on top of my current one and using not only for yarn storage but also to house my angel collection. What I really like about the cubes is I can change things around and have a total different look without having to reorganize everything. my plan is to eventually have 4 of these to house yarn and angels.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

5. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I have lots of yarn. I also do papercraft/cardmaking, so I have lots of paper. And.....I sew, so I have lots of fabric.

I have a nice sized house, and it is just my hubby and me, so I do have room to store things, thank goodness. I like the plastic see-through bins for storing yarn and fabric in. They don't look very "cute", but they are functional, they stack, and I can see what's inside them.

I have an extra bedroom that is hardly ever used, and that's where I keep the majority of my stash. The plastic bins are just stacked on top of each other, and like I said, they don't look especially appealing, but they work for me.

My paper supplies are mainly stored on shelving units, and I have smaller see-through plastic shoeboxes on the shelves for the smaller stuff that goes with papercrafting.

Every once in a while, I will get inspired to weed out stuff, and I donate it to Goodwill.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

7. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of did the original post with tongue in cheek, but you all have given me some great ideas. Even one that I had forgotten about. A shoe sorter. One that hangs over the back of a door. I have seen it used and thought then it was a good idea.
    Have you ever thought about getting rid of it all, and just buying yarn as it is needed?

9. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trude;96029]I am having trouble with my stash. It seems to be taking over my house. Life. Thoughts.
    It has taken on a personality of it's own. I can hear the skeins of yarn talking in the night. I think they are planning a complete and total takeover.
    Have I lost my mind?
    When I went away last week I couldn't use my suitcase. Why? Because it is filled with yarn. In fact 2 suitcases are. Plus 3 large bins. Plus a dresser.
    See? A takeover.
    Mu husband is talking about building a shed to store all of it in.
    Where will it end? Two sheds, 3, or 4? A garage, then a pole barn?
    I think that to stop the madness I need to get rid of all the stash and start over.
    I would [B]only[/B] buy yarn as a pattern called for it. And never keep any leftovers. Is this even possible?
    Do I need a 12 step program?
    What have the rest of you done to keep a stash in order?[/QUOTE]

Hi. In all honesty, the 12 step program does not work, at least not for me. My name is LI Roe and I am a yarnoholic.

It also multiplies during the night, that is why you are hearing those little voices and when you are not looking. If you try to get rid of it, it comes back in full force and brings in reinforcments. OH NO!!!

You can't fight it, it will win, no matter what. I am being held hostage by my yarn. But what a way to go!!!!

LI Roe/Roseanna

11. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. So I am not insane? What a relief! My family will be glad to hear it ...if they believe it that is.

13. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trude;96145]LOL. So I am not insane? What a relief! My family will be glad to hear it ...if they believe it that is.[/QUOTE]

Just show them my post. We are in this together!!!!

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I am afraid they think I am so far gone that they would only be convinced that your were too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 6 of the large zip-up bags that you vacuum the air out of, they are half the size. Then I store them in a closet, they're clear so I can still see what's in them.

17. Likes amanda, buggainok liked this post