Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used Boye and Bates hooks, but I have always wanted to try wooden and bone hooks.
    Deb H

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorites are the Boye metal hooks also. I have some plastic ones but I just don't like them as well. I did buy one of the lighted hooks to use with dark colors but I haven't tried it yet. I hold my hook not at all like my grandma tried to show me, I guess you'd call it the way you hold a spoon but I never liked it that way or felt comfortable holding it that way. I hold it with my pointer finger on the tip and my next 3 fingers wrapped around it and I can crochet much faster that way!
    Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    my favorite hooks are boye then bates in that order

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my next trip to Michael's I will look for one of the lighted hooks so I can work on the dark yarns easier.

Does anyone have any problems with using one? I hold my hook like a pencil and have never used any of the hooks with larger handles, so I am concerned about that part of it.
    jcg1224

Post Thanks / Like
    I too hold my hook like a pencil and haven't had any problems at all with the lighted hooks. If you can't find one at Michaels you might want to try your local JoAnn's as well. They did carry them at one time.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    For crocheting with thread I love the Milward brand. Using yarn no real preference. I have tried the more upscale needles with fancy handles but I find them difficult to use so I go back to the type of needle I learned to crochet. I do not hold my needle like a pencil which is the suggested method of holding a needle. I put my hand around the needle with my palm covering the shaft of the needle. After 45 years I maintain that I can keep up with anyone who holds the needle in the "proper" manner. The one type of needle that I do not like to use for crochet is plastic. I have several sets of antique needles with bone handles, glass needles, and plexiglas needles. These are fun to use. But I prefer not to use plastic no matter the shape or the beauty of the needle.

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite smaller hooks to use is ChiaoGoo(I think that is chinese for craft girl) It has a flat long oval handle that is perfect for the "knife" style users. The only problem is they did not make all sizes, only the even ones 12, 10, 8 etc and the largest is E I think . I look to these 1st for any project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry arlette, you are holding "your" crochet hook the proper way. It is what works best for "you" and no one else. I think that is one of the things I like the best about crocheting, everyone can work however works best for them. I remember growing up one of the things my mother preached to me is "There is more then one way to do something correctly" Funny how mom's words come back from time to time.

It is difficult to change the way a person holds their hook, very awkward.

Be sure to let us know what you are working on. It is always a good inspiration for me when I hear about what others are working on.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by arlette1013 View Post
    For crocheting with thread I love the Milward brand. Using yarn no real preference. I have tried the more upscale needles with fancy handles but I find them difficult to use so I go back to the type of needle I learned to crochet. I do not hold my needle like a pencil which is the suggested method of holding a needle. I put my hand around the needle with my palm covering the shaft of the needle. After 45 years I maintain that I can keep up with anyone who holds the needle in the "proper" manner. The one type of needle that I do not like to use for crochet is plastic. I have several sets of antique needles with bone handles, glass needles, and plexiglas needles. These are fun to use. But I prefer not to use plastic no matter the shape or the beauty of the needle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arlette - I hold my hook the same way you do. It is how I learned and it is most comfortable to me. I think I do pretty well, too!