Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    The Michael's closet to me is about 45mins away. I don't get over that way very often but I will make a point of looking for those individual hooks over there the next time I go. Otherwise I may have to try ordering them online as you suggested Judi. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh DonnaJN,
    I am sure it HAS to be the dark yarns, it can't be our old eyes.....lol.

Hope you don't get snowed in for long. I grew up in Illinois and I remember the snow on the ground for months on end until it is just so black and dirty that it looked like a small mountain in the parking lots. I moved south at 19 and only went back in the summer after that.

Yesterday I finished the baby hat I was working on, and today I am making my husband another hat, he works in 42 degrees, so I try to keep him stocked up with hats.

Let me know what you think of the lighted hook, if you get a chance to pick one up.

Happy hooking day,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet hooks

I learned to crochet using Boye hooks primarily because that was all they had. I have been crocheting since I was 10-12 yrs of age. I was taught by my Grand Mother Bitty. I am 58 now and so I have been crocheting a very long time. I ran across a hook called Susan Bates years ago, don't know how many, and have never used another since. I use the aluminum hooks and because I am retired and doing quite a bit more now so I may switch to a hook that has a wider base such as the bamboo hooks since I have had carpel tunnel releases and I do occasionally have problems with my hands aching from over use.

Quote Originally Posted by skynclls View Post
    Most of my hooks are a brand called Yarnology. They are aluminum with a bamboo handle and a tapered head. I have a couple of Bates hooks and a couple of Boye hooks, but they are in sizes that I rarely use so I have not tried them often. What hooks do you like and do you prefer metal, plastic, wood... How do you hold your hook, because I guess that may have an effect on your hook preference. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Crochet Lite hooks when I'm in the car or at the theatre and find that they work really well. They provide just enough light so as not to disturb others but enough light so that you can work on the project.

The SmartGlo hooks
    Smartglo Crochet Hooks multi pack Susan Bates by crochetgal
    Glow in the Dark crochet hooks Smartglo Crochet by crochetgal
    actually glow completely but need to be placed near a light source every now and then to maintain their glow capability.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

5. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. First time for me. I prefer the Boye aluminum hooks. I like the taper at the end much more than the Bates.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too use the Boye hooks since they are what I can get close to me. I found one that I have from decades ago that only has Size E, USA on it. It was one of my first hooks 40 years ago. I do have a Rosewood one but it doesn't have the flattened area and it turns to much on me when I am using it. But it is such a nice looking hook and it was also a Christmas gift a couple years ago. I'll find a project I can use it for eventually, it is smaller then I normally use.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried severals types but always go back to Boye - I like their hook best. Have been crocheting for over 50 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have always used Bates, but maybe I give Boye a try considering the responses. Would like to try some Bamboo and see what I think of them. Also thinking about getting some of the grip cushions to put on my hooks to make them thicker and to soften the metal grip so my fingers don't tire easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to keep several of the same size hooks also in case I loose one, but also for when I am working on more then one project, I just stick the hook into the work until I come back to it. That way I don't have to try and remember what size I was using for that project. Since I do have a tendency to stitch a little tightly I use H and I the most for my afghans, hats and scarfs, but some things need a smaller hook.

I have found that I need to have a hook with the flattened place in it. I have one really nice Rosewood hook that I was given and I have trouble with the hook turning on me when I am working with it because it is completely round. But I still cherish it as a gift from some nice people.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I have bought boxes of craft materials at yard sales and gotten hooks mixed in with bags of yarn. I also inherited quite a few hooks from my mother. I must have half a dozen E, F and G hooks in various brands. It is nice to have extras of the ones I use most.