Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last

Thread: Yarn Scraps

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Scraps

What do you do with the leftover yarn? After you're finished with a project and you weave the yarn through and cut off the yarn ends- what do you do with the yarn ends? I keep them, unless I think they are too short. You know the hook-it rugs that you can buy in the stores. It has short yarn pieces. If you got a blank hook-it rug( no picture on it) and took all your yarn scraps, you could make something on the blank hook-it rug. There's the idea but I don't know what I'd make if at all with the yarn scraps.

2. Likes carljean, 2Cathy2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I myself haven't done this, but I know some people who make amigurumi critters use the leftover yarn to stuff them.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes Firepxy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Make a "swiffer" cover and hook the pieces through one side to pick up dust on
    bare floors or to get cobwebs off the ceiling, then just throw it in the wash. Nothing
    wasted!
    Last edited by karenlatlas; 08-14-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: error

6. Likes WabashWoman, DinahRoberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's an idea

8. Likes Judi Gums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taken yarn scraps and just stitched them into an ugly afghan......which turns out to be rather pretty in the long run. I just watch which colors I put next to each other, some look nicer together then others. I just use up the yarn as it runs out, don't try to make any type of pattern. If I have a little variegated I like to use that first then pull a color out of the variegated to put next to it when ever I can. Little scraps go into the trash.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    I have taken yarn scraps and just stitched them into an ugly afghan......which turns out to be rather pretty in the long run. I just watch which colors I put next to each other, some look nicer together then others. I just use up the yarn as it runs out, don't try to make any type of pattern. If I have a little variegated I like to use that first then pull a color out of the variegated to put next to it when ever I can. Little scraps go into the trash.
    Judi G
    I have plans to make a "Scrapaghan" too, Judi. You will get a kick out of this. I recently taught a friend to crochet, and she's loving it. But she hasn't finished too many things. She decided to make a scrap afghan, but told me she needed to buy more yarn, so she could make some more scraps!
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

11. Likes Magnolia Blossom, DinahRoberts liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that's a good one. I like to hear of others catching the crochet bug. Tomorrow looks like it will be raining most of the day, sounds like a good day to crochet all day to me. Yeah!
    I just started some purple hats for the local hospital to bring awareness to Shaken Baby. Still working on Red Scarf Project and had a wedding afghan in the works for Feb.
    Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
    I have plans to make a "Scrapaghan" too, Judi. You will get a kick out of this. I recently taught a friend to crochet, and she's loving it. But she hasn't finished too many things. She decided to make a scrap afghan, but told me she needed to buy more yarn, so she could make some more scraps!
    Last edited by Judi Gums; 08-16-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Supposed to be lots of rain here for the next few days with the storm out in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm almost done with my shawl and will have to find something else to make soon. I make scrap afghans from my stash when I get bored though...I just use stuff I only have a skein or less of and they always turn out really pretty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bits of yarn make great stitch markers, and they're free, too!

15. Likes karenlatlas, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Today when I was looking for Christmas ornament ideas, I came across this one using small amounts of yarn. They would make cute ornies with any size styrofoam balls and candy canes you had, but I think that I'd use artificial candy canes if I wanted them to stay clean and lint free for a long time. Here is the link, I hope it inspires you: DIY: Yarn & Candy Cane Ornaments // Hostess with the Mostess®

17. Likes Magnolia Blossom liked this post