Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's s different mindset when you are making something which you intend to sell. Right from the off you know it's not "yours" and you don't get attached to it as much. I used to make cushion covers and a lot of the stuff I was making was stuff which I didn't personally like as it wasn't to my taste, but that I knew would sell well. Have a look around the different sites, see what people are selling and what they are charging for it, and try to price your things accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally feel that I would have some emotional attachment to my work and I would like to give them out as gifts instead of selling them. But then again, I haven't really tried it or anything, so maybe it would make me feel better, I don't really know. I would have to try it out first so that I could give you better feedback I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a shop on Etsy for just over 3 years now and I absolutely love it.

Its not hard to set up a shop, but you have to be willing to do your own marketing. Don't expect to open a shop and become rich overnight as its not going to happen.

But the fees are quite reasonable. It costs $.20 to list an items for 4 months. If the item sells, then you are charged 3.5% of the selling price as the commission to Etsy (known as Final Value Fees).

So on a $10 item it will cost you $.20 to list the item and $.35 when it sells.

I've never sold on eBay so I really can't offer a comparison.

also sell my work at the local art festivals.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like

Selling

This is awful to say, but I believe its true, that my work is not good enough to sell. I like to crochet for myself and close friends, but couldn't bring myself to sell anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Misty and others,

I also feel like my items are not "sellable." LOL! I think I need to practice more! This could be a goal in the future! I commend those who do make items to sell, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think one of my problems is I am not consistent in my stitches, I wonder if its a mood thing, When your upset its tight and when your happy its loose. Something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that Etsy is great for is finding some great supplies! I've found some amazing handspun yarns there. I also sell a lot of my own yarns on Etsy.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi crochetgal
    Don't tell me you spin your own yarn, my goodness, that is awesome. I would never tried that. I can remember my Grandmother balling up the yarn, it came in skeins and I used to hold the skein while she would make balls out of it. Misty