Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

How do you prewash yarn and not have it tangle? Help!!!

I'm asking people who have more experience with yarn than I do. This is what happened, I made an afghan for my Mom, 4 feet x 5 feet. The chair that she
    sits and rocks in is 4 feet across. She is 5 feet tall (give or take), the colors are red
    and off white. And yes, you guessed it: the red bled onto the off white. it is now
    not quite pink but no longer off white either. Because it is going to Mom and
    I won't tell, she won't know. However, my brother wants navy and white.
    Now we come back to the original question: how do I prewash the yarn so that it won't bleed/tangle? Help!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would read the labels because now a days that the yarn shouldn't bleed anymore...I honestly don't know...I will let some one else take this one...sorry this happened to ya....

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash everything in cold water.... But check the lables jut to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great question and I am very curious to see how others may respond to it. Thanks for asking!

5. Likes tammyc77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you need to prewash the yarn, you can put the ball into a nylon bag and toss it into the machine, following the directions on the label. This is one of the reasons I still keep pantihose around!

Just make sure to take the label off first!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never had that happen to me, and I've washed red, navy, white all together.So I haven't a clue. I guess it depends on the yarn. I would advise listening to Crochetgal. Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never had a problem with yarn bleeding either! Perhaps it was the yarn you used?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not made anything with contrasting colors that were that much difference so when I wash the one I made for the granddaughter I will tell you. Washing the yarn before using is a new one for me. I'd take the label off and wash it in a bag or pillowcase or something that keeps it intact. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Of the 100 or more afghans that I've made, I have never had one bleed, so it could be the yarns they are making these days, but I used to cross stitch designs on sweatshirts and when I was done, I would soak them in warm water with about a 1/4/-1/2 cup of white vinegar to set the colors, then wash them in the machine to rinse out the vinegar. Maybe that would work for your afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had any problrms with them running. I roll the up in balls wtap rubber band arond them and put each one in a socck and put rubber band on end of sock it works for in washer and dryer check to make sure they are still attached before you put in dryer. I did't check once and there was a few that got tangled. I know this sounds weird but i can untangle anything quick. My husband brought home 3 HUGE boxes of cords to computers, phones phone chargers and much more i was done in 1 and a half days.