Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Shop question

Post Thanks / Like

Shop question

I'm thinking about opening a shop on Etsy but there are times that we lose our computer hook-ups (sometimes for 24 hrs or more). If you have a shop, what would you do when you couldn't get online? I'm thinking about having mostly shawls and wraps but also a variety of dishcloths, pot holders, scarfs, etc. (anything related to crocheting). Should I do custom work or just sell what is already made? Lots of questions that need answering.

2. Likes amanda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Landon is one of the people on here that sells through Etsy so she would be a good one to ask. You could private message her your questions but her mailbox iis full and she can't receive any messages. Landon, empty some of your messages!!!

4. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Faye, I'll give her a try.

6. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi!!

How sweet is Faye? Thank you, Faye for your kind words!! I have an Etsy shop, but I don't have it very stocked mostly because I am working on finding my own "niche". I am reading a wonderful book called "Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow" by Marsha Sinetar. I love to help others just about more than anything and I am passionate about being creative.

What I am working on is doing tutorial videos on being creative through crocheting, making jewellery and knitting. I hope to sell kits on my store. The kits are from the tutorials I am working on.

Crochetgal does sell on Etsy, she would be a great source of feedback on selling online. She is one savvy businesslady!
    Now, if it were me, I would have ready to go items so folks can see my work and cover colour availability. This item is available in such and such colours...And at the same time let your customers know that custom work is welcome.

I have business cards that I hand out if someone compliments me on something I have made that I am wearing.
    Pricing is a sticky deal, I work to make my pieces reasonable, I want to be able to sleep at night and most Jewellery I have seen is grossly overpriced. I would look at pieces similar to mine and go from there. Jewellery being so grossly overpriced is one of the reasons I am offering kits.

Don't underestimate on the power of social media for getting the word out on your work!! I think it is important to promote yourself on Facebook, Twitter, Ravelry, Pinterest, etc....

We have several members here who sell online. Hopefully, the will weigh in and provide you with more feedback.

Congratulations on making that decision!! To me, selling my work is thrilling to me! I love it, especially custom pieces.

I wish you the best!!
    Happy Crafting,
    Landon

8. Likes Maryjane, Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Landon. I'm planning on making an item and then if someone likes it but wants it a little different, I'll make adjustments and customize it.

10. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!! And if my power went down or if my Internet was down, I would go to my local library to get online.

12. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't go to the library either. All North Georgia lost DSL for 2 1/2 days last week. I almost had a nervous breakdown. All my crocheting is done while I listen to YouTube, my meals come from allrecipes, my grandsons are on Facebook, etc. I haven't watched TV in almost a year. The internet is my connection to the outside world. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! That must have been awful for you. I would have been stressed out too. I have my TV on all day long........all night too when I fall asleep in front of the TV, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your shop! I sell at Craft Fairs right now but I'm going to think about where I want to take my business! Starting a shop on ebay is one possibility! Maybe we can learn together!!

16. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by featherfarm View Post
    I'm thinking about opening a shop on Etsy but there are times that we lose our computer hook-ups (sometimes for 24 hrs or more). If you have a shop, what would you do when you couldn't get online? I'm thinking about having mostly shawls and wraps but also a variety of dishcloths, pot holders, scarfs, etc. (anything related to crocheting). Should I do custom work or just sell what is already made? Lots of questions that need answering.
    many people run a business thru' the Library computers.
    Bailey
    In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength