Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BarbySue. That means a lot to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jokersjuggalette View Post
    I am wanting to do kind of the same thing but the only difference is, I am not doing the patterns. I just want to be able to sell what I make. I just don't know how I would get started to be able to actually make some money. Not being able to hold a full time job this is the only way I see for me to make money and I really enjoy crocheting and making other craft items. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get started?
    Probably someone that's already successful should answer this. But in short (as I spent all night posting some pics). I started following crochet designers on twitter. And when they talked about different things I'd go check it out. I'd also follow people they followed, and learned all kinds of things. There are lots of people that tell/sell you info on running a craft business. They have Podcasts (like a radio show) to discuss different aspects of craft businesses. They'll have on guest designers giving you tips. I'd read blogs that were informative in a lot of the same ways. Then there are classes you can take to learn stitches, about yarn, etc. There are professional sites that can certify you for teaching, give you business info., selling and marketing info. Some things are free (many), some are not, but reasonable.

This is what really started giving me the bug to do more. I read about yarn bombing and artists and designers that worked with crochet. I also have a pinterest page (which I haven't visited in ages, but still get constant pings from people liking and copying my posts). I know this will come in handy, not quite sure how, but I will definitely post my pics on there too.

I have a notebook with tons of ideas of things I want to do, and things I want to remember. I have way more than that bookmarked on my computer that I still need to read. You can get loads of info on the web. You just need to keep looking. (And I desperately want to yarnbomb SOMETHING)>

I think of it in my head as a Boutique on one side, and a nice cozy crochet place to come in and crochet, and learn, take classes, chat and maybe buy some supplies eventually. (Someone I know has a knitting shop like this side, but only caters to knitters (and doesn't have the boutique. I'd love to have one. I'm going to see if she'll let me teach there the day she's closed. But want to get some more experience first).

I'm a Phlebotomist and Medical Assistant by trade, but also can not work full time due to health issues. And looking for part time is tough with so many young kids graduating from school for this and working cheap! My market's flooded with them. So I would still like to do that part time, as I love taking care of people. But this is what has pushed me sooner than I thought I'd do it. I was doing mobile phlebotomy, and they moved pretty far, lost a lot of my patients and I got laid off But it wasn't worth it anymore in those conditions anyway.

So here I am. It's scary, but you do get a lot of support on line. But I have to say, I feel like I found a home here. I can give you more specifics later if you want them. PM me.

HTH. I need to put feet up and pick up my hook!
    Joy

3. Likes chefmomster2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Love ur PHD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck Joy on you venture!

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done just a few craft shows, but have been seriously thinking about starting a business. As far as the craft shows, I have been able to break even but no profit. However it did give me some exposure, gave me some ideas as far as what people want (though I've found its different every show), and I was able to hand out lots of business cards. I would be interested in the etsy info as well as anything anyone can help me with. My biggest problem is in pricing things, so if anyone has suggestions for that I would be most grateful. One thing I have found is that if I am crocheting something while at craft shows, people will stop to watch and then they look around at what I've done. I also keep a scrapbook of the things I've done for people to look through.

I was born in the state of confusion and have never left!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to add my email address. pjsmybaby@yahoo.com Must be hunger affecting my brain! Lunch is on the stove and smells heavenly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PJsmama View Post
    I have done just a few craft shows, but have been seriously thinking about starting a business. As far as the craft shows, I have been able to break even but no profit. However it did give me some exposure, gave me some ideas as far as what people want (though I've found its different every show), and I was able to hand out lots of business cards. I would be interested in the etsy info as well as anything anyone can help me with. My biggest problem is in pricing things, so if anyone has suggestions for that I would be most grateful. One thing I have found is that if I am crocheting something while at craft shows, people will stop to watch and then they look around at what I've done. I also keep a scrapbook of the things I've done for people to look through.
    I like your scrapbook idea.
    Did you read my post about how I got a lot of my info. One of the sites with good info on craft fairs is Crochet Liberation Front. That has 3 levels of membership. But check it out. Some are free, some you pay separately for, some if you join for 20.00 you get a lot of them. Something like that. Anyway, you definitely should listen to the craft fair, and maybe the farmers market ones. I'm pretty sure she gives pricing there. Which is always the hard part. Seems like the general rule of thumb (and I know everyone does it differently) is material cost x 4. Of course that's general. Only you can decide, and there are always those things that break the rules.
    Good luck.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best Of Luck ! You Go Girl ! nice to have '.PJsmama' experience help. Happy Holidays and keep the needes movin. S..M.J